Need help (crushed stone driveway)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Outdoor_Maintenance_2010, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010 LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys,

This customer wants me to fix up her driveway, she only wants a quick fix
    what kind of material could i put to prevent water from washing the driveway like this? Would crush stone mix with cement mix help?
    I'm thinking the cement would harden up and prevent from it washing away again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for ideas here,

Let me know

Thanks

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

You're gonna make me go outside in the heat and take a pic of my lane?

It would take a heck of alot of concrete to be enough to be effective.

I have a fair amount of experience with this, as I live on the ridge of a mountain. We did the sitework at my neighbor's property, his driveway is so steep, only a 4wd vehicle can use it. His gravel has been in place for 4 years. We contoured it accordingly, and compacted with a big, ride on roller. We've had some real gully washers, and all is well.

The customer has to deal with reality. There is no "quick fix". Get a 3-inch rain storm like we had here 2 weeks ago and that "quick fix" will be at the bottom of the hill.

The first thing you need to do is DIVERT THE WATER OFF / AWAY THE DRIVEWAY. This will involve a small excavator.

You will need contour the driveway so the water sheets to both sides from the center, and so that the water does not roll down the driveway. At the top of my lane, I have a SLIGHT depresion carved and 90% of the water is diverted to one side right off the bat.

You may have to import aggregate and create a crown. Meaning the center of the driveway will be HIGHER.

I'll shoot some pics and post them either later today or over the weekend.

3. DVS Hardscaper

your 1st picture shows the whole story.

Whats happening is the water is coming off the lawn (to the right) and is spilling onto the driveway.

There needs to be a trench/swale/whatever you want to call it, to break the water from entering the driveway.

4. DVS Hardscaper

Now in my case, I have more space to work with and I don't have a lush lawn along my road. But Lush Lawn or no lawn, it's still the same, water flows downhill.

In this pic to the right is a small pile of gravel. it's hard to see due to the tree's shadow, but if you look at the road, you should be able to see that I have a slight swale cut, where the pile of gravel is, which directs the water off to the right

Lane 7.jpg

5. Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

Yea, makes sense the're is no crown on that driveway,problem is people always have trouble investing into big projects like this, it usually washes down like once a summer
    i probably end up just dumping so crushed stone

6. DVS Hardscaper

As we come down the road, you can see on the right (through the vegatation) that there is a swale cut parallel with the road.

And, it's hard to see (through the vegatation), there is also a deeper, more pronounced swale on the left. (the left side receives a higher volume of water, which is why it's deeper and more pronounced)

lane 3.jpg

7. DVS Hardscaper

And as we go further, I have "break away" points. for the water to discharge.

In the pic, through the vegatation, you can see the swale veer off to the left and dump the water into the woods

Lane 4.jpg

8. DVS Hardscaper

In the 1st pic, the road is cut so it dips TOWARDS that pile of gravel.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Pic Looking down the road.

And don't you city slickers go falling in love with my secluded property, it's not for sale!

Lane 2.jpg

10. Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

interesting, thanks for the help and pics