1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help!!! Customer wants tree moved!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A CUT ABOVE, Feb 23, 2000.

A CUT ABOVE LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has a palm tree about 4' tall and 36-40" around. I am just entering my second year in this business, and have never done anything like this. I could really use some help with this. I don't really know what to do.
  2. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

use a chainsaw!!!!

A CUT ABOVE LawnSite Member

I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. He has a rental property (where the palm tree is). He wants the tree moved to his house and re-planted.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

4' tall? If I remember right for palms all that is needed is a ball of dirt twice the dia. of the trunk so ...... look in the yellow pages for a tree spade company that can ove it for you.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

A local nursery should be able to help you, or point you in the right direction. Just add sufficient markup to cover any aggravation.<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>
  6. Lance720

Lance720 LawnSite Member

Go to http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/ and look for the forum there. I'm an arborist in the pacific north west and would love to give you some advice but have absolutly no experience with palms. I'm interested in the if it's 4ft tall you need a root ball twice as wide. The general rule that I have learned is that you need 9&quot; of root ball for every inch of dia at the butt of the tree. Again I say I have never dealt with palm(they won't grow here).<br> Hope this helps<br>
  7. mikeslawn

mikeslawn LawnSite Member
    from florida

We removed one one time. We did it with an ax and chainsaw. It took us 2 hrs because the the roots on a palm were so thick. I would advise you find someone that knows what they are doing and has the right equipment or you probly will destroy the palm.
  8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone over here seems to have a major<br>palm tree fetish.:) Personally I find them<br>to be an absolute pain in the a$$.Rip it out<br>and drop it in a tub/bio grinder.Palm trees<br>can make good mulch.:)
  9. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

Lance, I like you have no experience with palm trees. However, if Bill Gates wants a palm tree, they will grow there
  10. Z7199999

Z7199999 LawnSite Member

You should find contract diggers that work in your area. They should be able to dig that palm in about 2 hours. Then just load the palm on your truck. Make sure you measure the palm tree ball after you dig the hole to make sure it fits.<p>