1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding on a small zero turn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2stroked, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

So basically I need a small zero turn. I just bought a new 21 mower, and now I'm looking to upgrade my main mower. The one I have now is a John Deere riding mower, it's been great so far and it's lasted way longer than I thought it could but I really only think I can get another month or so out of it. I really don't want to buy a walk behind mower, and I mow residential lawns, about a quarter acre each. Here are the mowers I'm looking at...

Ferris is 1500z with 44in deck and a 18.5 kawi
    Exmark Pioneer S series with a 44in deck and a kawi FX600V engine
    And maybe a Hustler Fastrak Super Duty with a 42in deck with the FX600 engine

So what I'm wondering is which one would be the best deal for me?

I know that the deck are small, but the gates I need to fit through are on the smallish side.

Thanks for taking the time to read. I appreciate it.
  2. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Of the three I would say the ferris. I don't know how big the gates are you need to fit through but what about a 48" stand on. Like a wright stander.?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Or you could look for a gently used low hour lazer instead of the pioneer. Of those three i say either ferris or hustler
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. jgrs7

jgrs7 LawnSite Member

i bought a pioneer and love it for my residential accounts. but now that i try and take it to some of my commercial accounts i wish i would have spent the extra 2k and bought a lazer
  5. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Out of those I would go with the ferris, but I would look into a stander of some kind.
  6. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to go with the Hustler. As previously stated, I would look for a higher quality used commercial unit for the same money.