Need Help Diagnosing 62 Toro Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Conoverbandit, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Conoverbandit

Conoverbandit LawnSite Member

Hey Y'all,

I got a Hydro 62" W/B Toro. I was mowing last week and on my first yard I could tell a difference in cut. The center blade looked like it had "dropped".So I checked it and sure enough it has dropped the thickness of a gator blade down, I checked for up/down play in the bearings-none,I checked side to side and just a hint, I said ok maybe a bearing flew apart.I popped it out and checked the upper and lower bearings and races in the housing.I found nothing wrong, no scars,scratches,or anything.I called my local Toro dealer and talked to the service tech. and he said he'd never heard of anything like that.So I put it back together and checked versus the other blades and it's almost right on the money now, but what could have made it drop?
    A friend of mine said they had like a "crush collar" between the top bearing and the pulley and if this flew out that would make it drop.But the guy at Toro said they do not have nothing like that, just a seal,top bearing, a "spacer,bottom bearing and bottom grease seal.All that looked very good So I'm stumped as to what could have caused this. Any ideas,or opinions gladly appreciated.:dizzy:

Thanks,

Conoverbandit

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Does toro have a shoulder that the blade fits on? If so did you just sharpen tha blades and meybe did not get the blade seated just right on the shoulder? That happened to me before but not on a toro.