Need help Dividing Palms

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clyde, Aug 12, 2006.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants to take a palm that is growing on the side of another palm (its a baby palm) off of the other and transplant it. any suggestions?

I was going to take a machete and a hammer and cut it off the larger one.
    put the machete in the middle and hit it with the hammer so it cuts through. Then take a shovel and dig it out
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That will work. So will a sharp spade.
  3. clyde

How do i do it .... straight down or sort of at an angle?
    i don'twant to kill the olderone
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Straight down. I can't see it so I don't know how it is growing. Pics might help. You want to cover the roots that you expose on the big one after you cut the little one off covered with soil. Keep the roots on both from drying out if your transplanting the small one, have your planting hole all ready to put it right back in the ground.
  5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking Sago Palm, Arica Palm, or ???? As long as there is a root evident you may divide them sucessfully. As She said even a spade will do, or is that a shovel?

I was a little confused by the term "its a baby palm" as if you were expecting something other than the parent plant to give 'birth' to another species.
  6. clyde

Yea i guess the word Juvenile palm would sound better. Hell i have no idea what to call a palm thats growing off the @ss of another one.

You tell me.:cool2: chiggy chiggy

its a sago

I think i should dig around it expose everything so i can see what i am cutting and the direction...

THanks for everyones help
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

The sago is real easy to seperate. Been doing for 15 years.
    Take a sharp shovel, put it behind the little sago and pry it awawy from the bigger one.
    Very simple, put it in the new hole with a little cow manure and sand mixed together.
    Water morning and evening everyday for 2 weeks and then once a day for another 2 weeks. After that it should be good to go.