Need Help-Edging Beds w/metal border

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Aug 6, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I need some help here...I've edged beds before, but never with the metal bed edgeing aorund them. What they want is for me to make a distinct trench on the outside of the bed edging that extends out at least a few inches. I have stick edgers and line trimmers, but no bed edger. What would be the most efficient way to go about doing this? Is there a general census on how much to charge per linear foot when doing this type of work? Since I've never done it before I have no idea how long it will take. I'm going to go measure it later today, but if I had to gues it's at least 7 free standing beds in the lawn that are at least 60 feet in circumfirence. Thanks for any help.

-Brandon

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I rented a bed edger for my last big edge job (500+') and vowed to never cut another edge by hand. You can cut those edges in a matter of minutes.

The general consensus on this site seems to be $1/ft. Of course, you'd need to add the cost of the bed edger rental.

I'm not sure I completely understand your post though. Are you removing the metal edging first?

3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I can usually buy 14 gauge metal edging for around a $1/ft, mebbe a little less. I usually charge them an extra $1.50/ft to install it. It's pretty easy stuff to install.

I generally trench with a pick, install the edging, and then backfill around it. You only have to trench a coupla inches so that the edging sticks up a coupla inches to perform its task.

Hook the edging together and very loosely put it into the ground at first, dont pound stakes all the way in right away. Take at any kinks while it's still loosely installed. When happy, started pounding in the stakes.

Beware of sprinkler systems. I have busted more pipes with edging stakes. Generally, when I hit a rock, I remove that stake and wont put a stake through the edging in that location. There's usually enough stakes that one or 2 less wont affect anything.

Good luck.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute,... let's get this straight,.. they want you to dig a trench on the outside of EXISTING metal edging?? If so, WHY???
    If there is turf grocreep up into or onto the bed, just spray the edges (INSIDE the bed), and clean the metal edging up with a string trimmer - cutting back the old sod to the bed edge.

5. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

It looks like Runner understands what they want...I'll try to explain why so you can have a better understanding, although I still don't quite understand why.

This is a city owned property that is maintained by the city employees. The thing is they don't keep up with the trimming like they should...they pretty much mow and go. This leads to the beds not beeing trimmed around. I was contacted by the Chamer of Commerce president to make a trench around the pre-existing beds with the metal edging. I aked her why since all they need to do is run around each one every week with a trimmer and they'll look great. She says that she wants a trench or maybe just a bare area of only dirt approx 3 or more inches out from the metal edging. She thinks that once I do this that she can show the employee that is responsible for maintaining the property and maybe they will keep up with it better. I knwo this sound crazy, but this is what she wants. The best way I've thought of so far is to run my stick edger around the beds to cut all the runners of grass, then go in by hand and pull it all away.

6. ratherbeboating

ratherbeboating LawnSite Member

I would probably stick with the bare dirt theory and scorch it with the string trimmer down to dirt (or as far as it will trim) then hit it with some roundup??????