1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help estimating new job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by motichka218, Jun 30, 2009.

1. motichka218

motichka218 LawnSite Member

i need some help on estimating this new job. i couldn't get any pictures of it but a made this diagram. it not grass its all weed and about 3 feet tall at the minimum.its about 5,000 sq ft. there are a couple of weeds that are like tress. I'm thinking its going to take me at least 5 hours to cut it all down. and i think i cant use a lawn mower at all. if i go by an hourly rate of $40 an hour it only $200 and i think it a lot more work for only $200. i need some help.:dizzy: in the diagram all the green needs to be cut down. and if you have any ideas on how to make it go faster its appreciated. thanks
    View attachment untitled.bmp
  2. birdman0494

birdman0494 LawnSite Member

my only advice would be,

What trimmer are you running ? can it hold a brush cutter blade? like my fs 90? and if so id say cut every thing down to a minumum of 6 inches fast and sloppy then you go over with a lawn mower at 4 inches ( highest setting for my 21 inch ) then you go to your requested height. And i suggest gator blades while your at it and go slow!
  3. motichka218

im running a homelite trimmer. it can hold a brush cutting bladed. any advice on priceing it
  4. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

just my take on it, but if you are using a homelite trimmer you might as well not bid on it. I have not had very good luck with homelite.
  5. motichka218

the guy is someone i no he can to me to see how much it will cost. and i need some help on priceing it im sure i can handle it. so can anyone help me with the price.
  6. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it would take 5 hours to trim it, that is a long time! But you know better than me how fast you can work...I would trim it all down for around 250 but that is because I feel like I could do it in maybe a couple hours. How about finding someone with a bush hog and subbing it out? Good luck either way!

edit: After reading your post again, maybe you could get it down far enough quickly then cut it with a mower??
  7. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

charge 250 300 and rent a brush cutter or a decent trimmer from homedepot.. tust me your going to break balls with a homelight
  8. castle555

castle555 LawnSite Member

Going for the simple answer here IMHO, I would rent a Brush Hog or Billy Goat self-propelled walk-behind cutter.
    These things are tough and will mow down your legs if you stay behind them.
    Figure in the rental cost of the machine or the cost of a new trimmer -cause it will be spent shaft after that job.
    Youv'e got 12.5% acre there and by the square foot I'd charge .10 cents per square foot. This includes the cost of the rental equip. and whether it takes you all day or a few hours, you still make a couple hundred bucks.
  9. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you make it worth your time$$$ especially if you are using a homelite. I have had many jobs like this and I ended up buying a used brush cutter and it has been one of the best investments I have ever made! Maybe do this job with your trimmer, but then with the money you make go out and buy a brush cutter, or just a beafier trimmer!

SEMI-RETIRED LawnSite Member

I would use my brush hog on it, 5000 sq ft is not much..
    If i did not have a brush hog i would sub it out, there is no way i would
    do 5000 sq ft with a hand held trimmer with a brush blade..

Brush hog, 1 hr 100.00 for me..