Need help fast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Apr 2, 2004.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if this is right to do but I will ask you guys about it anyway. There is a post in the marketplace about a 60" lazer for sale. I am currently negotiating the deal with the owner. The problem is that he states he buys mowers from bankrupt stores and he wants to use western union for the transaction. He said that I can deposit the money and put the addressee as anyone I choose. Once the money is in there, he will send the mower. Once I recieve the mower I will change the name of the addressee to his name and he will then withdrawl the money. Is anyone familiar with western union, is this how it works. I was cautious because I have heard of scams out of other countries and the price he is selling the mower is to good to be true. Has anyone else had any dealings with this person? I hope I do not tarnish this persons rep but if I decide to buy it and it turns out ok then I will post again praising the guy for a good deal. By the way the lazer was posted today.

2. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Sounds very freightening and I would be very wary! Ususally anything worth paying for is not in a hurry.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your bank and ask them the proper way to do it . The bank will tell you how to pay for it with out getting ripped off.

4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

In the 1st place you sound hesitant to come forward with this deal. It's almost like you know it's a scam but the "bait" is too good to be true.
    What market place are you talking about? Is it on the e.bay? If so then PLEASE do a search and read previous threads and posts where some of the lawn mower scams on e.bay were exposed and discussed in lenght and where fellow LS members warned each other about those scams.
    If I am correct in my assumption and the "market place" is the e.bay then go and read the fine script on how to buy or sell. E.bay actually discourage buyers and or sellers to use Western union as a method of payment.
    Therefore, if this is true and this seller continue to insist to have payment through Western Union then it definitly could be a scam and you better be very carefull of this deal.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Ya ever heard the sayin "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"??? Sounds like a scam, an I would be very wary of doing any buisness with anyone who told me I have to go thru Western Union for the transaction.....

Who the hell does he think he is?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Caveat Emptor...............

I can tell you this........this is NOT how Western Union works. It does NOT work as an "escrow account". When you send money, you must put a password in with it, from your location. Chances are, they will require a password right away from you. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just send it, and THEN have you send the money, because to them, it would be the same. Anyway, don't buy a piece of equipment like this sight unseen. It might not fit, or be the wrong color.

Oh, incidentally, the term; "caveat emptor"? In case you're wondering, it is latin for "Buyer Beware!"

7. lonnie

No, its not on ebay it is on lawnsite marketplace, posted today. Your right, I am leary about the whole thing but a 2003 Lazer with 96 hours for $4000 shipped sounded good. I was just seeing if my fears were warranted. I have bought and sold other things on lawnsite and was trying to see if you guys had any logical reasons to try this out. I am going to see if he will accept a more secure form of payment. If he says no, then I know whats up.

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Who is he, so we can thrash him!!!!!!;) :D

9. lonnie

It is dd0gw but I am not willing to burn him down just yet.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Has he given you his name?
    What about a phone number where you can contact him?