Need help! Ferris 3100z 2006

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoyatWork, Aug 10, 2006.

1. LawnBoyatWork

LawnBoyatWork LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I am looking into a 2006 3100z Ferris... I did a demo of the B&S 32hp and the 26hp Kawasaki... I liked the B&S because of power, but I need some support of that engine to go to it. The reputation B&S has not been very good from what I hear.Any advise out there...

I am currently maintaining 110 acre facility with Steiners!!! So you can see why the switch is needed.

I looked at the 61 and 72 decks... All help Pro or Con is welcome...

*trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag* *trucewhiteflag*

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with Briggs...I have a 35 hp on my Ferris 4000 and 72" deck.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What ever you do don't get the kawasaki. We have one on a 60" IS 3000 and it has absolutely no power what so ever. The rpm's are where they should be and it will bog down anytime you hit the slightest incline or a fairly thick patch of grass. I don't know if its the engine that has no power or the machine just robs so much power. Either way I would recommend the 30 hp Kohler or the 32 HP Briggs. The Briggs is a good engine. Also the cut isn't as good as it chould be for what the machine costs. Ferris says the suspension makes you more productive but the deck holds you back unless of course you mowing somewhere where a perfect cut isn't needed then you could let it roll.

4. LawnBoyatWork

from ohio

Have any of you had to replace any major parts other than regular maintenance? Any idea on expense on replacement parts for Ferris?

Thanks

5. LawnBoyatWork

from ohio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent the last week doing demo's with Ferris models. My staff of eight all agree on the 3100z as far as cut and ride, but are divided on engines. The dealer I have talked to said they have sold basically all kawasaki and around 20% B&S. He has not sold one kohler(not dogging Kohler just stating what I have been told). Apparently I am told the 32 hp big block B&S is made by Mistubishi. The Kawasaki consumes 9 tenths of a gallon an hour where the B&S consumes just over a gal an hour. I have to say I like the 32hp B&S better simply put because of power. It out ran the Kawasaki hands down and road like a town car. I like the fact I do not have to use a choke with the B&S. If you review old threads there are guys out there with problems with the chokes. The only negative bite on the 3100z I have heard is the hour meters have tendency to malfunction within the first 75hrs(warranty) and the gas line in the tank have had issues. I was told the hour meters are about 1 in 15 that go out. As far as gas lines I do not know. I currently maintain a 110 acre health care facility with steiners... pretty funny thought... we will be getting our first z a Ferris shortly...

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

As far as replacing parts, the only thing that has been replaced was the hour meter and the hydro belt idler arm spring. Both were covered under warranty. The machine cuts great when the engine rpm's are up like they should be but our machine is bogged down so much that the cut suffers a little sometimes. We're running hi lift blades and an almost flat deck pitch and that makes for a much better cut than the standard medium lift blades with a 1/4" pitch. It also rides good too. Overall I would recommend a Ferris machine as long as you get a big enough engine. If you don't, trust me you will be sorry.