Need help fillin a hole...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mustang mike 93, Jul 23, 2006.

1. mustang mike 93

mustang mike 93 LawnSite Member

Can someone please give me some idea on how much dirt I will need to fill a hole that is 22X28 and 8 inches deep? Here is the story... The guy (older man) is selling his house. He used to have an above ground pool where the hole is. Now the pool is moved and I need to fill the hole and put some sod over it. He is not too interested in top soil he just wants some clean fill dirt tossed in. He has about 2 yards sitting off to the side where the dug the hole about 2 years back. The guy is in a little bit of a hurry to get the house on the market. Also how much sod will I need?

2. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

15yds of dirt, 1 1/2 pallets of sod.
  3. mustang mike 93

Can you tell me how you came those numbers?
  4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh, probably simple math!

If you need to know how to calculate volume or square footage, something tells me you didn't pay attention in math class.
  5. lawnchick17

lawnchick17 LawnSite Member

I get 15.21 Cubic yards. Length in feet x width in feet x depth in inches divided by 324 (because it is the magic number) = Cubic yards needed.
  6. mustang mike 93

D Felix sorry bout that. I'll make sure I don't ask any more questions.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You take length x width x depth .

If they are all feet then divide by 27 too get cubic yards.
    A tandem axle truck will usually hold about 15 yards give or take.

Go too Home depot and Buy there Calculator.It will do all the math for you.

Sod usually shipped in 504 square foot pallets.

Length x width = needed sod coverage.

22 x 28 = 616 sq ft

Most companys will not break up Pallets so you will need 2 pallets.
  8. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

324 is the magic number. multiply your square feet by the depth at which you need then divide by 324. It will work on anything. mulch,sand,topsoil sod is simple just get your square feet.

Lawnsite is for asking questions, help others in the business. I have learned alot, and I have also learned that some people forget that is why this site is here so you have to overlook somethings.
  9. mustang mike 93

Thanks all. I am still pretty new to this business.I knew this site wouldn't let me down.

D Felix, I hope you don't have kids. I would hate to be them and ask you a math question.
  10. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

WAAAAH, WAAAAH, WAAAAH..........