need help finding a site

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tpl, Mar 7, 2002.

1. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

important job with Zarig homes, one of the best "high end" builders in Nashville. I need a to find a site to get new and different ideas on landscapes. Looked around, but never could find anything worth looking at. Zarig is giving me the entrance and the first six homes to try me out. Please help.

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new deal with Zarig.

Just wanted to throw out a caution as I have been looking at targeting builders quite a bit. From everyone I have talked to home builders pay very very slow. I am hearing instances of 3-4 even 6 months for payment as a norm. If anyone else is hearing otherwise as a norm, please let me know. Also, I am also finding that once the house is transfered to the new resident, you lose recourse for a mechanic's lien against the property. Given that landscape is typcially that last to go in before the sale or typically done after the sale is complete, I am being very careful how I am handling new home builders. I am very cautious of builders that try to take me in with open arms. I can not afford to be out 3-4 months with that kinda dough without substantial legal recourse for non-payment.

Back to your question, (sorry to digress):
    Man, that entrance would look great in the portfolio. I just ordered a book on landscaping around decks. It is due to come in next week I will let you know how it is.

jf

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, have fun working for builders. I guess someone's got to do it. I'd research that topic a little here before you do it.

In addition to losing the lein rights, you would also likely lose the respect of the new homeowners. Builders never want to pay what a good landscape is worth. So the landscaper is forced to install less lawn, less plants, and do less prep. than is needed in order to make money. The new owners move in and are pissed off with the quality of the landscape.

That's where I come in. We get paid by homeowners to rip out the crap the builders' landscaper threw in and actually make a nice landscape. And every time, the owners know the name of the landscaper who installed it. But they'll never call them because of the poor job they did originally.

Since the builders won't pay what a good landscape is worth, you will either be installing these the right way and not making much profit. Or you'll install them the wrong way so you can make a little profit. Either way, you lose. If there is a builder who is happy to pay a landscaper what he's worth, I haven't met him. And if he'd also pay on time and keep his word, I'd say it's a fairy tale.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

He's also Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy!

5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Jim has good points.. not sure I would want my name to be the name that is thrown out at the housewarming party with only the standard 2 Azelea bilder package. Top end builders may be different.

Good Luck.. would love to see the entrance when you are done.

6. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

well, we'll have to see what happens. I appreciate yalls input. If it does come down to doing bad work, I will not do it. These are the reasons I am glad to be a part of lawnsite. Everyone wants to help the nest guy succeed. I will update this thread to let you know wether or not I took the job.

If you guys are 100% correctand I don't take the job, I have the listings of when these people are moving in. An opportune time to leave my card.

Thanks,
    Patrick