1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Finding Good Tools !!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowmoney00, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

We buy the contractor grade shovels, rakes, scoops, ect. (general purpose yard tools) for Lowes and Home Depot and they seem to break over the course of a couple of months.

I know there are better quality and more durable tools out there. I have not began to look yet, but I'd prefer anyones input on what they use and how they have held up. Thanks everyone!
  2. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

do you get the lenards[spell check not working] catalog from iowa? they have top grade tools. the have a steel shovel [handle and head] i dug a pond in a grove of maple trees that would snap a wood handle in the multitude of roots. they have the great hooked bladed loppers[2 and a half inches in diameter branches] i have used hard for ten years. the big rakes from the midwestern brand are great. my favorite is the long handled pick i call the old landscapers friend cause you use it while standing straight up.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i like craftsman. they break and you take them back. i usually break them every year intentionally if they haven't already done so.
  4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Nupla - Have a yellow fiberglass handle. Guaranteed for life. I get them at the local golf supply place...us turf. Once you use them you will wonder why you ever used anything else!
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We used H.D shovels with fiberglass handles and never had a problem. The spring rakes we just put a wood screw into the handle and when the handles would break we'd stick a piece of aluminum pipe into it. The grain scoops were aluminum and we got those through NAPA of all places. Lopers came from AM Lenord and our ARS and Fanno saws came from Artistic Arborist.The True Temper gravel rakes we got through Grainger I think.The biggest problem guys ususlly have with tools is that the employees leave them somewhere.
  6. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We use structron tools. They have the yellow fiberglass handles. They are really strong and durable.

Also check out: www.farberbags.com

They have a variety of hand tools. Some pretty heavy duty steel handles.
  7. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year we bought 15 fiberglass handled Kodiak shovels from HD. 5 of them broke(got run over by skid loaders & trucks), we took them back, they gave us new ones. They cost $25 per, so I take advantage of their "LIFETIME" warranty. They do say Contractor Grade. We buy our specialized tools from AM leonard or J Thomas. If it has a lifetime warranty, use it.

9. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

have you heard that fiberglass tools transfer more stress to your back than wood handles? maybe this is an old landscapers' tale cause i'm a really old landscaper[ in dog years i'm 325] :waving:
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I primarly use the PONY irrigation shovel for digging. One thing you need to make sure of is that the handle is made of Ash, lasts much longer. Anything harder I use pick-ax or metal handled Wolverine shovels. Both the PONY and Wolverine are in the $50+ range but well worth it for their speed, strength.