1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help for bidding maintenance on irr. system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by clc2003, Aug 27, 2006.

1. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

I have been presented a bid sheet on a new construction property for full maintenance including irrigation. Irrigation is not very common around here so I have never dealt with it personally. I will most likely sub it out, but the bid needs to be turned in 8/28 so finding a local guy will probably not be able to get it done in time.
    The property has approx 5 acres of turf that will be irrigated and the landscape beds have a drip system. The reqirements are as listed

1. Activate and inspect for leaks and /or damages
    2. Adjust sprinkler heads
    3. Monthly inspection
    4. Test and Certify backflow prevention device annually
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Start up and Inspect: 8 hours labor x 60 an hour = $480

Adjust (I'm thinking a few that don't seem quite right, the original installer adjusted right?) 2 hr x 60 = $120

Monthly Inspection = 4 hrs labor x 60 x 12 months = $2880

Annual Backflow test = $250

So, my bid for irrigation would be $3750 per year + T&M for repair of any problems found during inspections.

I'm probably really high for your area.
  3. I have a system I maintain on about 4 acres with 21 zones. I takes two men 2 hrs. to check all the zones and about 1 hr for misc. repairs and adjustments. System is a 2 wire hitt logic 1 and also has a booster pump. We charge $50.00 for a back flow test and $50.00 hr. plus parts. Service call is $60.00.
    The first time we serviced the system it was well over 6 hrs since so many things were broken and zones not working. Bid on the high side.

Dirty Water's bid looks in line for a property you have never maintained before.
  4. Dirty Water

You know London, if it was a hunter or Rainbird decoder system you probably wouldn't have had nearly as much trouble. I don't know if they are compatible, but I'd be swapping in Rainbird Decoders everytime a Hitt one fails.
  5. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

Thanks guys keep em coming. I would charge for only 6 or 7 months though, since we get below freezing in the winter.
  6. Dirty Water

Well then you need to charge a winterization fee. On 5 acres, that's going to take a long time, even with a large compressor.
  7. I adopted the system since the original contractor did not have a clue. The original contractor is one of the biggest in my area.:rolleyes:
  8. Dirty Water

The biggest contractor in my area is a LCO/Landscape/Irrigation company that does all the box store installs and maintenance.

They don't have a clue either. We usually pick up the maintenance contract for the irrigation after a year or so and spend 2-3 days fixing problems with the original install.

Post #3000 btw :)
  9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Were you just pulling this number out of the air? Do contractors actually get that much for testing DCAs in your area?

(Thinking of packing my guages and heading to Washington for a few months a year.)

Highest I've heard of is $100.00
  10. Dirty Water

No, I was thinking for clc2003 since he would be subbing that out, and I figured he would want to make a bit of money too.

We don't do backflow testing here, the city does.