1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help for start up!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ahill713, Nov 8, 2005.

1. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

I'm a first year college student and I am planning on starting up a new company in my new town next season. I managed (not owned) a crew cutting 50 lawns in high school each week. I have roughly $3000 dollars to work with for start up costs and was wondering what i should do with it. any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What do you have now? At least a truck I hope. For that much I would start off buying everything used. How large (generally speaking) are the lawns you will be servicing? Your handheld equipment should be new and will cost around $800 (edger, trimmer and blower). Everything should be commercial quality. The other money should be spent on new 21" mower ($1000) or used 32"-36" and small used trailer ($500). That leaves $700 to play with. Don't forget some money for advertising (flyers or doorhangers).

Good luck
  3. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

I do have a truck now and i should be able to get free advertising (thanks to the university computer labs). Generally the lawns i am cutting and going to cut will be in the 30 dollar range so i dont need very large equipment. I was also wondering about brands. When i worked i had Honda commercial mowers and everything else Stihl. What other brands should i consider?
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi ahill713,

Make up some flyers to promote your services. Let people know you are in business :)

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>
  5. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Keep your eyes open for landscapers who do a good job, and note what brands they are using.
    For blowers and trimmers I use Redmax. Check out their website. They are very tough and long lasting.
    For mowers there are endless choices. My advice is do some websurfing, compare brands, then look for what you want on E-bay. You can save a load of money this way. Try looking at Exmark and Scag mowers to start. They have some beautiful machines that do a great job. My best of luck to you in this great business. :cool2:
  6. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

if i was to buy a 21in mower it would be a commercial snapper 1000.00
    or a toro is also good i personaly run exmark and snapper. You said you didnt want a big mower maybe you should just look into a exmark 32in walk behind or any other brand that size, exmark is just my preferance. What im trying to get at is you can fit just abought anywhere and its not to big or to small great quality of cut. Its not really a big machine so most home owners wont mind it being on there lawn like they do with bigger walk behinds and riders.It has more ground speed than a 21 wider cutting path there for faster. Face it faster you can go the more you can do.The more can do the more money you can make or the earlier you can go home at the end of the day.