need help from a pro with a product choice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Dec 29, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

anyone use this product its labled for mosquitos and ticks?

I am banging my head against the wall I am trying to find products with residual that will work for mosquito and tick control but must not labled as temiticides. In MA termiticides are under a different license, although i doubt you would see anyone spraying termites with liquids labled for ants and mosquitos. Anyway i dont want to use malathion because it smells bad, i was hoping for a low odor and the ability to use a powered backpack mister, hencethe malathion option, tempo has no label for backpack misters. Am i asking for too much here?

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

3. humble1

from MA

yeah i have seen their product, but speaking with one of the guys over at the pesticide beaureau , he said that because there is no real efficacy (?sp) data, and that mosquitos transmit EEE, and that people can die from it, that if you are advertising a control product that has no real data you could find yourself in one hell of a lawsuit.

4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Have tried Onyx? It is pretty universal and very effective for just about anything.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Permethrin, Tempo and most pyrithroids are great on mosquitoes. Short residual of course. I don't see why you would need a label mention to use Tempo in a mist blower--as long as it is applied according to other label directions. The actual equipment used is up to you. I don't see why it would be a problem in the unlikely event that a suitable product was also labeled as a termiticide. Sevin is old chemistry--it takes a lot--but it might have a slightly longer residual, if you deposited a residue on the leaves.

6. humble1

from MA

I probably should have mentioned that you cant use permetherin or resmetherin etc at schools in MA. In regard to the label I thought that the label is the law, and modification in any way was a no no. Sort of like treating for something not on the label is against the law. I should check w/ pesticide enforcement on that one.
    Talstar i believe is labeled for termites thats why i brought it up.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Malathion is the old stand by for spraying skeeters. Nasty stuff, but it works very well.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try 'suspend sc' i use it alot with good results.. it's labled for use in schools, etc (but it is in the 'methrin' family of synthetic pyrethroid)

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

here's the link, cant get it to post correctly http://www.backedbybayer.com/BAYER/CropScience/BackedByBayer.nsf/files/Suspend/$file/SuspendSC_SellSheet.pdf www.backedbybayer.com

10. humble1

from MA

yeah suspend is allowed, Ma has a family protection act so even if something is labeled for schools it may be on the ban list, I have to give copies of labels plus MA notification material to EVERY parent, and every faculty memeber 2 days before plus lawn posts, What a pain in the arse--