Need help from the pros with a leaf quote.. please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I maintain properties with very little trees on them so I don't do much leaf work at all. Yesterday I received an email requesting a clean up. I went to look at it and it is approxiamtely 2/3 of an acre wooded lot. There is no real lawn area so the entire lot will need to be done with a back pack blower, tarp and rake. The leaves were wet but I would guestimate they blanketed the entire lot at 4-6 inches. The leaves can go in the woods at the back of the house. 75% of the property is in front of the house though. Also the property slopes up from front to back at maybe 20 degrees.

I know a picture would help but approximately how many man hours do you think this would take based on the info provided? This will be done by me, myself and I with the above mentioned tools. :)

Thanks!

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I would simply state because of the heaviness there are to many variables to give an exact estimate. You will do it for $xx an hour and guess it should take x-x hours.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That's exactly what I say when I give leaf removal quotes.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you cant accurately quote, then give an hourly price. lately i hate to do it that way, but its not worth the risk if u can't be accurate on a quote.

5. Lawn-Scapes

I understand what you guys are saying but can anyone narrow down the time at all? Like 3-5 hours, 4-6 hours or 6-8 etc....

I see about 7 hours but I have nothing to compare it to...

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

<strike>what kind of equipment do you have to tackle this?</strike>

oops, i can read, i swear :)

probably about 5-6 hours tarping and blowing

7. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks for your input BSDeality. Anyone else have an opinion or agree with 5-6 hours?

8. Lawn-Scapes

Well.. I just called her and told her it would be in the $400-450 range and asked if this is what she had in mind. She said she figured around $350 but she doesn't mind paying extra as long as it's done right. I'm meeting with her Saturday morning to go over the details (her expectations) and close the deal.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Tom, I actually just recently did an estimate on what sounds like a very similar type job.

Although their township does suck up leaves from the curb, the customer doesn't like when they sit out there for a week or more until the township gets to them.

They asked for a price to put the leaves in the woods in back, and for a price to remove them.

I told them $300 into the woods, and $400 removed. They opted for in the woods.
    I guesstimate it taking about 6-7 man hours. At $40 per hour, I rounded up to $300 for a fudge factor.

I will be using a 10hp Little Wonder push blower, backpack blowers, handheld blower/vac (vaccing out some areas with ground cover), and rake/tarp as needed. Mostly just blowing though.