Need help from the pros

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Chuckie, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

I have a lawn care company of my own and I am actually about to install a new lawn in my back yard. It is very small so I have decided to install a irrigation system. I am sure it is as simple as it comes for you pros that do it day in and day out. The actual area to be watered is only 50 feet long by 24 feet wide. Then I will need to pipe another 35 feet or so to go under the paver patio (not installed yet) and get my line back to the house into the basement and to my water source. I have a six inch ditch from the house to the end of the property to be watered. So my first question is where do I start. What kind of heads do you recommend, what kind of pipe do I use for the water line, etc. Can I just lay the proper pipe in the ditch and into my house so the line is run, then deal with the actual install of heads and such in the spring? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My wife told me yesterday that if she doesn't have a lawn by the week of thanksgiving I will be cooking for both of our families by myself with no help from her. :dizzy: So I just hate the idea of just sodding my lawn now and then having to dig a ditch next year when all I have right now is dirt. So throw your ideas at me. And I thank you all in advance for your help.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

3. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Thank you..... I will read away
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

That's not that large so you can handle it in several ways. I did mine by just manually trenching with a shovel as time allowed (I wasn't under any pressure) but my soil is sandy loam. If your soil is different you may have to rent a trencher.

You'll find out that you will need to install an isolation valve and backflow preventer to prevent contamination of your drinking water. If this is to be automated then you will have to decide where the controller will go. If you locate it in the basement then you will need to run wiring with your main line out to where the valves will be located. Since you're going through an area where a patio will be constructed later I'd suggest running a sleeve under the paver area to contain both your main line and wiring. This will protect them both and make potential repairs easier.

Don't know what you mean here.

Best place to start would be your "point of connection" in the basement. As the tutorial notes you will have to measure your pressure and gallons per minute so you will know what you'll have to work with. Depending on this you may end up with as few as one valve and as many as three valves for your back yard depending on the type of sprinklers you install.

I would recommend some type of single stream rotor or stream rotor and stay away from the spray pop-ups if possible. Fewer sprinklers, less pipe/fittings, fewer valves. However, run a large enough main line and wiring for the future in the event changes are made to your back yard, wife wants planters, etc.

You could get the POC done and the main and wiring into the back yard and then set the valves and sprinklers in the spring.

It would be better to get the irrigation system in this year so you're not tearing up your sod. However, many guys here plow lines in that do less disturbance to existing lawns and that's always a possibility.