Need help from UAP users

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you that use UAP products, what blend of fertilizer do you use to prepare your lawns for the stresses of Summer (for lawns where the customer won't pay for insect protection)? The only applicable product I saw a price for, was their 22-0-22 with 60% BCMU blend, that's listed at $21.50 per bag! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

The uap site sucks when comes to finding granular fertilizer.they usual carry uap in the generic white bag, loveland , signiture to dealer and let him know how much and what your looking for .last year we picked up some 15-0-16 ? % ppscu 4% iron 10% S .with our slighty high Ph this worked great around here at 1/2to 3/4 lb. of N .Its best talk to your dealer.They do carry a 25-0 25 summerizer but I have not been able to find a label online.
  3. Victor

Thanks for the info Naughty. I'm going to check and see if my local dealer can get that 15-0-16 in. The product list they gave me is pretty limited, so I have doubts that they'll carry it, but I'll definitely look into it and would love to try it, if it's an option for me.
    I've been getting most of my fert products from Advanced Turf Solutions (Anderson's brand fertilizer), but they don't have any blends like I'm looking for under $30 a bag. I did find out thought, that my UAP distributor carries a 19-0-19 blend in stock. It's K is derived from Sulphate of Potash (a definite plus over Potassium Chloride from what I've read), but it's N source is 100% STU. I'm not so sure that a 75-80% slow-release wouldn't be better. If my local UAP distributor doesn't carry the 15-0-16 you recommended Naughty, at least I have the 19-0-19 to fall back on I guess. Thanks again for the heads up. I really do appreciate it.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It appears that you want a high percentage of potash in your summer blend or beginning of summer blend, (for summer stress). Why do you want the high potash? If the customer doesn't want to pay for insect control--why would you give him an expensive fertilizer? Potash is very water soluble--a few good rains or sprinklings and most of it is gone. Exactly what kind of stress do you expect? Drought? Insects? Disease?
    Scotts Turfbuilder is usually 28-4-4 which is a 7 to one ratio. Are they wrong?
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Very Wrong

Yes Scotts turf build is not the blend you want for drought stress by any means. Try a 1-0-3 ratio if you really want to help your turf avoid Summer Drought Stress.
  6. Victor

While I haven't had a chance to check the availablility, or price of the 15-0-16 product that Naughty mentioned, I do know I can get the 19-0-19 blend for around $17 a bag. $17 a bag might seem like a lot to pay for each bag, but since I'm only looking to put down around a half-pound of N at this time of year, I'll be using this product at half-rate. Therefore; a 50lb. bag that would cover 12.5 M at normal rate would cover 25 M at half-rate. That brings my cost of product used per lawn, right back into line. As a result, this application would be one of my cheapest ones to perform because of using the product at half-rate.

Thanks for the tip Ric. If I ever get the impression we're gonna have another bad drought, I'll definitely look for a blend with an analysis like that then. I will DEFINITELY make sure the K source is SOP though. I guess a 100% slow-release N source wouldn't be a bad idea either, if I was expecting a drought.

I can only imagine the problems you have to deal with down there in the Summertime, between the heat, humidity, loamy soil and insects. Man that must be tough!

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I said this in another thread, but we used gypsum w/humate and had a few mowing companies ask why our lawns bounced back quicker from the summer stress than other companies...
  8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you get that product? What rate do you put it down at? Cost?