Need help gettin more mowing accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, May 10, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I need some help here, I know the season is already started, i got started late so its going to be tough. I already sent out 5000 flyers, with not so great response so far, granted its only been a few days since they went out, I've gotten 7 calls so far, but only 1 was for mowing and not sure if I landed that job yet or not. I wanted to get more mowing accounts then lawn repairs, mulch, shrub trimming, but i'm getting the opposite. I don't mind the other work but would rather be getting a weekly type job and not these one timer's.

What are some options here? I've done plenty of searches. This is my first full year, last year was just picking up work here and there, and I wasn't sure if i could make it this year due to injury's but here I am. I just can't think of any good ways to get my name out there better. Yellow pages are done for this year, i wouldnt be in it till next spring if i did that, signs are being made for the truck, but all the other advertising methods are very expensive. for a small 3" wide 2" long add in a paper that goes to the 3 towns I service it would be $320 a month. Flyers are the cheapest but I don't have the time to be putting them out myself and can't find anyone that will deliever them door to door, just the service i went threw that put them in a bag with a few other flyers and that didn't work out extremely well (thats the 5000 i sent out). Any help would be appreciated.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i think good timing helps, there shoud be a new crop from the scrubs not showing up or not doing a good job, but my flyers went out middle and end of march, signed up 14 clients for the year, with lots of other odds and ends, i put my flyer inserted into a small community paper, all within 5 miles of each other......
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Give it time. Im getting calls from flyers handed out 1.5 months ago.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

drive around and selectively put door hangers with a price per week on the door or talk to the people if they are home. select only the homes with lawns that look like they have not been maintained, good sign of a lazy or over booked LCO, also watch the lawns that have been mowed but not with care for perfection.
    I'm having a tough time this year also thanks to a local lco that got rid of his lawn tractor in exchange for a z now he thinks he can mow at 12 mile an hour and is trying to get all the lawns around the area for next to nothing.
    he has cut the rates by over 5 bucks per mow from last year on all lawns.
    I can't wait till high growth rates get going and slow him down. he will either leave the lawns looking bad or he will not be able to keep up with them all, in the mean time i'm waiting to pounce on his mistakes.
    from 35 per acre to 20 bucks per acre,
  5. kc2006

I'm going to get 5000 door hangers made and pass them out my self. I figure this way i can select neighbor hoods that i'd rather be in. I learned from these past ones that all these large high dollar houses don't want mowing. they all want to be hard working guys and do it them selves, i was driving to a lawn repair and saw at least 8 guys that all owned Z's cutting their own yards, then you had the road of john deeres, i saw 6 neighbors all with the same mowers cutting their yards, probably ralley up after ward to talk about what a hard day it was cutting their grass :D

My family is helping out too now, they've been mentioning to their friends that I'm in the business and alot of people have been taking flyers for people they know that have been looking for a company they can trust (even the good company's around here have no quality, they just want to get it done and get paid). So we shall see.
  6. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

biggest thing is do a good job for the people u have and they will tell freinds and family and so on . i didnt put any flyers or advertise this year and my phone is still ringing , i picked up 13 new accounts this year just from my work and the word of mouth. good luck
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

See if you can put your flyers up at the supermarkets, barbershop, coffee houses, anywhere people go to shop or to get services. Your signs for your truck will help once you get them. If you can park it in a shopping lot near the entrance too.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi kc2006,

A little while back we started this post, How to get new customers. It has a lot of ideas. Maybe you could use one of them.
  9. vkurt711

vkurt711 LawnSite Member

Hey KC2006,

You said you would be putting out 5000 more hangers. How has your response been? I am at a point where I would like to pick up a few more customers now and am looking for the best way to do it mid-season. What would you do differently today if you had to do it again?
  10. kc2006

The place I'm getting them from is very slow to new customers so I only have 1000 ready going to be putting them out today and tomorrow. And I'm pre paying for another 3000 when I pick them up today so they should be ready monday.

I made a door hanger from a flyer that gopher offers its a "make the switch to us" type door hanger, i'll try to find you a link. I think it should work well since it focus's on mowing.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have had the 5000 sent to where I did. They were sent to mostly upper class neighbor hoods. I learned that the upper class people that have high paying desk jobs want to come home to mow the yard to show off and feel like they're hard working out door people. These doorhangers will be going towards middle class/upper middle class developments here the people work all day and don't want to do squat when they get home but still have nice homes. The wealthy area's only wanted hard work done like mulch and shrubs, so I'm full on that I want mowing now.