Need help getting new lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VWBug61083, May 8, 2000.

1. VWBug61083

VWBug61083 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've been in business for a few years now and am currently trying to get some new customers. I've put out lots of flyers and got very little response. I also did a direct mail ad, which was a big waste of money. I only got one call from that. Any ideas how to get some more lawns? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

About 30% of my customers are from referrals. Newspaper or Yellow page advertisements will get you calls.<p>I had two nice referral customers added today and one from a newspaper ad...close to turning down work.<p>Keep trying different things to see what works best in your area and situation.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If your friends with other competiors just casualy mention that you have open space on your mowing schedual if they are turning people away.Talk with a chemical app.,they are always asked who's taking on new customers.

4. Cletus

Cletus LawnSite Member

ah jest ax eveyone in th trailer park effn they need their grass cut.ah nevah need flyers!<p>

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Flyer!!! Try Doing flyers in the off season.<br>Go door to door estimating houses. Write the price on the flyer and the price in a log book with the town, house number and street.<br>When a customer calls all you need is their name and phone number. It worked well for me years ago. Everyone who call we picked up as an account. Most of the work was done right over the phone. Make sure you don't give general estimates. Price every lawn out. Take into account any fences. People get tons of lawn and landscaping flyers the one that stands out is the one with a price in pen.<br>It takes time but it works well believe me. Try it out! It maybe too late this year but maybe in the off season you can do it. Also if you see any high grass leave a price charge more for the first cut!! I just left a price for a bank with high grass today.<br>Good Luck :)<br>Keep in touch!!!<br>Travis <br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: AGG Lawn Maintenance<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: AGG Lawn Maintenance

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AGG, I agree with you. I did the same thing with the hand written prices 15 years ago and it works. I got so much work I had to turn down some.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. Gus

Gus LawnSite Member

We use an ad in our local paper which everyone seems to read. I agree that the personal touch makes a real difference and I make it a point to go and see each lawn and talk to the owners . I spell out what I do and tell them that they will see me everytime their lawn is done. People seem to like this<br>attitude.

8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

I am currently using that exact approach!! Ill let u know if it works, so far no calls! good luck!

9. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

on our route we try to add a flyer to lawns that need it.<br>Some times they are in really bad shape though.

10. grasskutter

grasskutter LawnSite Member
    from mass.

move to eastern Ma. I'll give you more lawns than you can handle, my phone rings about 30-40 times per day for lawn mowing.<p>----------<br>grasskutter@cs.com<br>