1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help getting rid of Geese!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnBoyatWork, Jan 30, 2006.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

chase dogs, relandscape around the pond, string fishing line across the lake about a foot or two off the the water. Ive seen limited sucess with fake owls and other such deterents.

ther is a chemical than can be sprayed, that deters teh gees from eating the grass, but the success is marginal....
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's a lot of birds for a stupid small gun, you need the right tool for the job.
    Unless you were planning to be there all day...

You need a self-reloading, fast firing tool here, something that don't play.
    IMO, you could try the General Electric XM214 Microgun:

It's not the most accurate, but it don't matter.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if it was legal.....I think if you kill one and let lie there dead, it migh deter the others from hanging around....

Top. somethinng tells me you might get some collateral damage with your gun....:)
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

AK47 with a couple of 40 round banana clips. Even if ya don't hit them, the sound of one of those things will scare the crap out of them to leave :laugh:
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Get a dog that hates 'em or a goose gun. It fires off something like fireworks and once you have scared them from that area, they will not return. did it for years on golf courses.
  6. dwoods

dwoods LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the onfo on getting rid of them geese.
    Not sure whitch one I'll use the gun or the fake one. lol
    Thanks again
  7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

My area had to deal with geese just a few years back. It took the city/county/state people two years to figure out that if one pond/wetland had too many geese, so did every other one in the area. And trying to repell them only kept them stirred up like a bunch of hornets :) . And all the time they took for "studies" to be done only alowed more breeding, hence, more geese! and geese related problems.
    When it was all said and done, the only solution was to kill a number of them. And that they did, by the thousands. It's been about five years now and the number of geese are growing again to the point that I'm sure this will all be done again in two or three years here.