Need help...got a call this morning

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by toddharmon, Jan 13, 2013.

1. toddharmon

toddharmon LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

There are a few options I think you have:

1.) Walk away from this opportunity. You are not prepared to do this work just yet. I recognize it is the type of work you want to do, but if you experiment or attempt to learn on a client's lawn with no previous experience, no license, and the inability to identify diseases, turf types, etc. then you are asking for a problem.

2.) Crash course cramming. Get licensed, get online and study everything you can about this type of work. Get outside and actually test yourself - look at turf types, diseases, etc. and see if you can identify them and recognize how to treat/repair them. Read the lawn care section of this forum - don't ask questions right away, just read and soak in the information. Go to http://www.weedalert.com as well.

3.) Contact a certified, licensed, insured service provider you feel comfortable with and explain your situation. Develop a relationship with him. Ask him if he will do the work as a subcontractor and make sure you are on site with him - watch him (or his employees), learn from the process.

3. toddharmon

toddharmon LawnSite Member

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's comments and input.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would support Seans third option. I've been doing aps for 7 years, but still use a locally based company for very large properties.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

In my state even if you subcontract application services you still need to register your business with the state. Be sure to check if there is a similar requirement in your state if you take that route.

If a company which does not employ a certified commercial supervisor wishes to bid on (solicit) a contract that includes commercial pesticide applications, they may subcontract the pesticide application to a second company which is properly registered. The unregistered company must then comply with all pertinent laws and regulations including, but not limited to, the following:

registering as a commercial pesticide application business;
    having the subcontractor complete Part VII (subcontracting information) of the registration form and sign Part VIII of the application;
    maintaining the pesticide business records;
    notifying individuals on the registry of pesticide applications; and
    providing pesticide label information prior to contract agreements to all customers.
    The certified supervisor must comply with all pertinent laws and regulations including, but not limited to:

being present at the time of the pesticide application or provide written instructions to certified operators;
    posting outdoor applications with the name of the subcontracted company;
    maintaining required pesticide application records; and
    submitting the annual pesticide-use summary.

This is why I just refer applications out.