1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help growing business and pricing things!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hemlock Landscape, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Hemlock Landscape

Hemlock Landscape LawnSite Member

so i just started my own company and ive been at for about a month i have 3 weekly grass cuts and are getting some jobs here and there i just sent out 200 post cards around town advertising how else should i get accounts and grow the company

also whats the best way to estimate things such as pruning? should i go a price bush by bush or one general price or an hourly price what works the best?? and how should i estimate things like fall clean ups??

please help
    thanks

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Estimate by the hour. $60.00 a man hour is fair.

3. Hemlock Landscape

ive been charging a base one time price for pruning and then labor hourly per guy should i do pruning hourly and labor also or combine them into one charge?

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:confused:

You're charging customers for pruning, and then adding the labor to do the pruning? Figure out what it costs you per hour/how many hours to do the job and then determine how much profit you want to make from the job.

5. JNyz

I would just charge $60.00/man hour.

6. Hemlock Landscape

thanks for the help guys
    i want to be competitive but not over or under charge people

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

How can you guys just throw a number out?! Funny stuff.

Ok, 60.00 per hour. How did you get to that? Any accounting data to back up that number for the OP? What is his overhead? What is his experience and trade "know how?"

He could be worth or only need 35.00 per hour. Or maybe he needs 140.00 per hour. ya know?

8. Hemlock Landscape

ive been landscaping for 4 plus years its not a question of if i know what im doing i have been charging between 25-30 dollars and hour for pruning including labor and everything per guy. i pay my guy 12 an hour other than that my costs are not much should i charge more per hour?

and what should i charge for fall clean ups how would you price those

9. JNyz

If professional companies are charging $60.00/hour why shouldn't everyone. Why discount yourself?

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You need to figure out costs before anything else. It costs me $33.50 to operate a man doing a cleanup or pruning job. One man + his equipment . At your rate I would make -$3.50 per MH of billable time.

It might cost you $10 PMH to operate and are making decent money, no one can answer that question but you.........