Need help identifying a type of long grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CitznFish, Mar 25, 2008.

1. CitznFish

CitznFish LawnSite Member

Hello,

I am a homeowner but I have a question about identifying a certain type of grass.

Currently I am renovating my landscaping and I have a hill on my side yard that I want to plant long "no mow" grass on.

What I am looking for is this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My landscaper thinks it is "Creeping Red Fescue" but I don't think it is. It seems to be "bluer" and taller than creeping red fescue. Also the blades seem to be more "round" than creeping red fescue. I'm no expert but it just doesn't seem like that's what it is. Hopefully I'm wrong because he has bought the seed and wants to plant in the next few days.

Does anyone have any idea what type of grass this is? It's on a west/ north-west facing slope in Westlake Village, California 91362.

Thank you!

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the kind of grass that grows in wetlands around here...kind of tubular blades.

3. CitznFish

WEll we're more sage brush than wetlands in Southern California so I doubt that's it. Did you have a name for it anyway? I'll look it up and double check...

thank you.

cf

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

If you could post some pictures of the grass, close up enough to see the leaves, how they attach to the stem, the crown, and roots, you would get ID'd quicker. A few suspects: Sheep's fescue, chewing's fescue, CRF, maybe others.:waving:

5. CitznFish

I can def. do that. I have some samples in my refrigerator that are about a week old...

I'll post more pictures tonight.

Thank you!

6. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

I don't know the name but I want to say saw grass. The blades will paper cut you pretty good. Hard to tell without a good closeup.

7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a possibility...

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/hrdfes.html

In order to accurately identify it you really need to sit down with a fresh sample in hand and maybe magnifying glass and compare it with an indentification key and see if you can nail it down. The good news is that many turfgrasses look like your photo if they go unmowed so if he uses something different it may end looking about the same anyway :).

8. CitznFish

If creeping red fescue ends up looking liek that then I'll be a happy camper.

I tried to take pictures last night of my samples but the camera was dead. The battery is charging and I'll try to get pics tonight.

Thank you for all your help so far.

-CF

9. CitznFish

Ok, Here are some pictures I tried to take of the grass I am attempting to identify.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if this is the same. It's on another hill in the same commercial complex but the blades seemed thicker and rounder.

[​IMG]

10. CitznFish

were those images helpful or do I need to take better pictures and repost?

Thank you.

CF