Need Help in a Bad Way!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richter24, Nov 27, 2007.

1. richter24

richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have done everything I need to do to start my business. My problem is, I am unable to purchase a truck right now. Is there any way I can pull a small trailor with my car? All I will be pulling for now is my snow blower, or my rider. I have a 2004 Chrysler Seabring...can I attach like a hitch or something on it? I see cars all the time pulling trailers even bigger than mine. Also is it something I'd be able to instal myself?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. You guys are great...

again I am new to the biz....Licensed, Insured, legal...ready to work.

2. chillman

chillman LawnSite Member

You can probably tow a small trailer with your car. Please take no offense but I would be a little worried about the image portrayed, It would not look very professional. I would probably trade the car in and get a truck of some kind. Just my opinion.

3. richter24

from Indiana

Nah, no offense at all. have some shakey credit i need to work on. i figured i would just tell people why waste gas in the truck just to pull a blower when i can save gas using the car. not that it matters, it is a nice car.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

looks pretty bad, not to say you are a lwoballer, but that is how it will look to the general public..... they wont take you serious

one thing, if your planning on using a snow blower , and trailoring it, where are you going to park the trailor when you do the driveway.... you cant park in the driveway, and you cant leave it in the street...... the municipalities will be plowing, and the streets are kind of narrow... it really isnt a good idea...

trade in the car on a pickup.....

5. richter24

from Indiana

Agreed...great point. Definately not a lowballer, I'd slit my own wrists if that were the case. I tried to get a 2003 Dakota, but the bank I have my loan through denied the application. truck was only like 13,000.00. which makes no sense to me, i traded a 2005 f-150 in last winter for the car and bought a 170,000.00 house, and got married. I may look into refinancing my car loan with my bank, and then try the trade in again.

Im kind of stuck in a rutt. I know i should see an accountant or something. i know this isnt doctor phil, but any ideas would help.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i refinances my old truck to pay for a new plow this year....my be worth looking into..you may even find a truck with a plow already on it..... and ditch the snow blower....

a secured loan of some sort....

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone with poor credit should not be starting a business. Your situation can quickly deteriorate. I recommend you get a full time job.

8. richter24

from Indiana

Thank you for your inspiring words echeandia. I am not a low life. I have a BA in business management and work 60+ hrs per week. Landscaping has always been a hobby and a dream of mine, so i am taking it furthur.
    I recommend you not throw around insults on this site. Reputation means alot..dont forget that.

9. richter24

from Indiana

"i refinances my old truck to pay for a new plow this year....my be worth looking into..you may even find a truck with a plow already on it..... and ditch the snow blower...."

Very good idea...I'll keep it in mind.

10. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

The towing capacity of your car is 1,000lbs. Below is a JC Whitney receiver hitch for your car. You can order the same thing at whatever auto parts place is near you.

Drag a small trailer with the car (and pay it off quickly) then trade it for a truck. The people who will think you're a lowballer or goofball are the established LCOs (your competitors and/or mentors). I rarely see my clients just the crap they left in their lawns.

Stay under 1,000lbs total weight of stuff and trailer. Your FWD car will pull it in the snow but stopping it is another thing.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1+2000+200728503+600002324&rlid=group_listing