1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help in dealing with heavy growth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 24, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I maintain 10 properties ranging from 2000 to 4500 square feet. Currently I am using a brand new 21" toro suzuki powered proline and a 3 year old commercial lawnboy. The heavy growth and wet weather that we have been experiencing in the last while is causing me to spend a lot more time on these properties. Bagging seems to be the only option but it is slow and time consuming. I tried to mulch with the toro and side discharge with the lawnboy (I took off the metal bar) but in both cases, there is a lot of clumping and a double cut is usually necessary. This adds more time. Can anyone suggest how I can more productively deal with this growth? Should I try gator blades, a mower with a stronger engine, etc? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Best advise, suck it up... no matter what equipment with the amount of rainfall we have been getting, your going to be in the same boat. We only run commercial equipment (36-60"), still in same boat as you. Try having, properties that are 3+ acres of it to deal with, some that another company keeps dumping fert on.:blob2: . Good luck.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

We use 21"'s almost exclusively, and have been killed for time recently also. I just keep trying to keep up with it, not let it get ahead of me, and pray that we have an early summer.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Try stacking a 16" high lift blade on top of your LB blade...Use a LB Side Bag Attachment....Much Better in Lush Turf than Rear Bags
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've neer done that before, is there a mold into the high lift blade that would hold it in place, or is just sandwhiched in there?