need help in ohio!!!

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by haney, Jul 7, 2006.

1. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the business. My question is that I am getting ready to purchase my equipment. I have about $3000.00 to spend on a mower. I am looking pretty seriously into buying the cub cadet RZT 50 z-turn. Dose anyone know anything about them. I live in Ohio and I think that the z-turn would be the best way to go. I think all I am going to offer to my customers in the beginning is the mow, trim, blow package starting at $35. Is that a good price or is to low? Thank you in advance for any help.:usflag:

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the mower comes down to personel taste ...but make sure your choice will fit the properties your looking to cut...ie homes or commercial......and $35 sounds good in Columbus...but your area ?? not sure you need to call and get quotes from your competetion .

3. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

What part of Ohio you from?

None the less.. The Cub stuff has really come along way. I run the Cub tanks nothing else. The newer RZT stuff for 06 started using the heavy duty frame like the Tank uses. I would buy one.

If it were me and I had it to do over again I would get a nice walk behind and a sulky. If you like Cub stuff you can get a 36" -48" walk behind for 2300-3k.

You will then be able to do more diverse types of lawns. The 50" mower is a bit big for most lawns below 1/2 acre.

4. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I'm from Eaton. its about 35 - 45 minutes north of you. You think the RZT 50 is to big? I'm new so any advice you give is much appreciated.

5. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I have a 60" cub. The client base I can take on is kinda small. It's either really big commercial or really big res 1/2 acre plus. My mower kicks butt on 5 acres. But on 1/4 acre.. no chance. I cut a buddy of mine when he is out of town and it sucks. Mower discharges to far and doesn't fit very well around the yard. Don't get me wrong.. you can do it. Plus you can't fit a 50" thru a fence gate.

Get a nice 36-48" walk behind with a sulky. You have any places around you? I can recommend a few people down this way to help you get some equipment put together or to demo something.

J

6. haney

haney LawnSite Member

I live in a gated community most lot sizes are around 1/2 acre. I would say about 95% don't have fences and the ones that do have wooden privacy fences. I have a 21" push mower for tight spaces. *newusflag*

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

$3000 isn't much when it comes to great mowers. look into rich mfg convertible mowers they have last year models on sale for 40% off you can ride or walk behind with these mowers. you will find that zero turn mowers arn't that good on hills and you will need a good walk behind. these mowers do both in one. .. $30.00 is a better price to use. for around here and stay away from commercial accounts they take to long to pay. i do pre-paid accounts works great, i get my money up front before i mow. i started a year ago april with one mower (ferris 1500 48" cut) now i have three mowers and a full time employee and 250 yards a month and lots of equipment and it's all paid off. and by the way go legal and get insured. it's worth it in the long run. also look at e-bay under ztr mowers or zero turn mowers you can get great mowers at a great price.

8. haney

haney LawnSite Member

CAn you give me more info about this rich mfg convertible mowers. Do the have a web sight and where are they located?

9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

When we started the mowing biz we got a 48" deck for it's versatility and the 60" to cut down on time at our larger props. We prefer the Scag mowers, but that is pure preference. We have not needed a striping kit in this area as long as your mower is heavy enough. Remember that gates will be an issue if your deck is too big.