Need help indentifiying lawn problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bob, Jun 28, 2007.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This lawn has an irrigation system. I'm not sure if it its not getting enough water, or thats its some kind of brown spot.

DSC00817.JPG

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

It can be a number of things, but looks like the after-math of brown patch. If this problem is new, take some close up pictures of the blades of grass. preferrably the blades on the outter edges of the spots where it meets the nicer turf.

Nice stripes btw. :) Are those exmark stripes?

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Isolated dry spot is my guess from that picture. What kind of fertilty has been made to the turf so far this year? What kind of irrigation program? Doesn't look like brown patch though.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Here's a close-up.

DSC00816.JPG

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of folks call it brown spot disease, I almost always call it heat stress...

But it does look odd, heat stress is generally more even, if patchy but not that patchy, and the edges usually blend into the remaining turf, you can see the stress wearing down towards the green sections.

What it could be, and this has to be monitored between cuts, is that the lawn turns completely brown after you cut it, then recovers, and this is the last of it. We're getting to that time of year, July and August are slow growth months, the severe heat of the sun burns grass left and right, in some sections the drought isn't helping, but usually heat stress comes from cutting too often AND / OR too short.

That area is a full sun section, no doubt about it, it gets pounded with 100+ degree heat all day long.
    Double cuts will do it, too, I single cut in the heat.

Try delaying the cut 3-4 days, and if you can, raise the cut 1/4" to 1/2"
    Those are just the things I've learned to do, might work for you, idk.

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno, looks too patchy to be heat stress.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is dry--although it is moist in the background. But the patches are something else. If this was sod, my vote goes to Necrotic Ring Spot. Any sign of frog-eye rings? Is it new sod within 2 or 3 years? More water will help, slightly.

OTH--what seed was used? It could be patches of a less heat-resistant grass among a background of a hardier grass.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the bluegrass is affected but not the fescue. My bet is on it being Summer Patch.....

9. storm-shadow

storm-shadow LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I don't suppose you cut out a patched area & checked for grubs? :eek:
    Regards,
    Storm-shadow

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how you can even attempt to id what disease this is by not having a close up of the legions on the blades. Yes I could GUESS brown patch, but we need to see some closer closeups. I would say it is a disease by the blotchy appearance. Summer patch is a root disease. If it was summer patch the grass would peel a bit when pulling, kinda like grub damage peels, but not quite as bad. It should also have some frog eye patches which I don't see. Red Thread has been bad around here, but that is a pretty easy one to diagnose.