Need help/info for aproaching commercial properties

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by EagleLandscape, May 2, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I want to try and move to stricly commercial next summer...

How do you all approach commercial properties?

Just call them and ask when they are taking bids?

Write up a bid and just submit it?

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

what are your motivations for just doing strictly commercial?
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most commercials take their bids between oct. 1 and march 1 in the northern states. You need to get out there and start knocking on some doors. The larger companies it is best to call and make an appointment or talk with the facility manager. Many will tell you when they are taking bids and tell you to send it to them. I would sugest you start with small accounts first such as Banks,Restaurants,Local stores, etc. until you have a reference and expierence list to tackle the next size up accounts. And I wouldnt drop any of the res. because they are good to have to fill your route between the larger accounts.
  4. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

you might laugh, but I think some of it has to do with the old saying "It's not what you know, its who you know."
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

...its who you know. I will agree with that. I do want to move out of the residential scene, or atleast move to high-end residential yards instead of just mow&go type of deal. I enjoy taking care of all aspects of a property. And I'd be willing to make 50$ less a day to do something I like rather than something that isnt as fun as the other way. Plus residentials around here I cant use a wb, theyre too small, have to use a 21. bleh
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jwingfield2k,

Here is a quote from this post.

"the best thing to do is go door to door and present a brochure to the manager, not the secretary, the manager. Also perhaps schedule up an appointment to meet with them first to talk about perhaps maintaining the property"
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am presently new and been doing this for 2 months now, I've learnt a lot from guys and I just wanted to say thanks!

Anyways, I am currently working with this real estate guy and he's treating me well! He tells me in advance what he likes done, if the place is a crapola place to work; tall grass, all that stuff..

He's hooking me up with more work and I know he has some commercial accounts that he will h00k me up with if I treat him well and he treats me well :)

It's who you know I must agree!
  8. pimowtime

pimowtime LawnSite Member

So what do you do? Just walk in with a flier and ask to talk to the Mgr.? Thereare alot of realty co.'s in my area, and I've thought about calling or sending info(bids)?? I'm really interested in the EMPTY LOTS!! and the rentals!!:)
  9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I think the best way is word of mouth.
    In Texas I'm sure they will accept bids any time of the year just look around and if you see a property that looks like it's not being well taken care of stop by ask to speak with the owner or property manager and see if they would be interested. Eventually word of mouth will be your best source of advertisement.