1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP ! Ivy removal question.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SidelinePropMgr, Jul 21, 2006.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has purcahsed a rental house. It is a 3 story unit and one side is completely covered with ivy. What is the best way to remove this.

Should it be sprayed with roundup of sometihing and let it die back? Should it be stripped from the brick walls while alive? Will the walls need to be power washed after removal? what should I do?

HELP !!!!!!
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

When you get a good response, I'd like to know also. We just got an abatement property with the same issues.
  3. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

cut it at the base of the building and let it dye. then pull it off and power wash, you will defiantly have to power wash it.
  4. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I agree with snowyleaf.

On the flip side I have always wondered what would happen if you fed a good woody base into a chipper??
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You are definitely goping to have to kill it first. How long can you let it sit, dead? The longer the better. We had a customer who had a house enveloped on 3 sides in ivy. We cut the base and painted on round up concentrate to the stumps. One side we let sit for a week, and had a heck of a time getting it off. Very tough job. The customer then lost his job, so the rest sat for a year until he could afford us again. The other two sides came off alot easier after that time.