Need Help (Lawn Restoration)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Oct 15, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be airating/ oversowing an area with a Sydney/princess couch mix on saturday.

The PH........51/2 - 6 region......so I don't think It'll need much conditioning.
    The Soil structure is clay base...........So I'm going to apply a liquid gypsum.

My main issues are.

#1. I don't know if I should put the seed above or under the topdressing mix?? (Putting down a very thin layer of this top dressing mix)

#2. I don't know really how to spread the seed even.I have a walk behind fert spreeder and wonder if I can use this?? (I am going to be spreading a seed starter fert mix and have 4kg of seed)

#3 How many times should I run the Airator over the area??

#4 I will need to be there every day watering............Yeh??? (it's our spring)

I don't want to ---- up this job as I think I have over charged and want to make sure these nice people get what they are paying for.

I know..............I should really know all this. I'm a sod man and have never delt with seed before..........Any help........Thanks!!

2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

When installing a new lawn from seed, you can't aerate too much. A general rate would be to aerate in 2 directions to cover evenly. If I am having to topdress also I would recommend seeding at 1/2 the app rate for a new lawn depending on seed type and overseed after aerating and then topdress and sow the other 1/2 of the recommended rate and then finally go back with a plastic tine rake and lighlty rake the lawn. Always add starter fert also and water constantly but don't over water and you will have one plush lawn.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

call a landscaper

4. pinnacle

ParkerLawn: Your info is great mate!!

Thanks for spending the time to reply.

Much appriciated!! I was starting to strees a little over this job but what you have said has made me fell alot better about it.

5. pinnacle

Find somthing better to do.................Haven't you got some crappy account to cut

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a whole bunch of em mate, but its 1 am here, all i can do is drink beer, and wait for the sun to cum up

7. pinnacle

Still pretty clueless to spreading as the bag of seed I have looks small but was bought acording to the MFGs app rates.

#2. I don't know really how to spread the seed even.I have a walk behind fert spreeder and wonder if I can use this?? (I am going to be spreading a seed starter fert mix and have 4kg of seed)

Can I mix the seed with fert to beff it up and spread with a fert spreader????

How do you guys spread ya seed??

8. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Sure you can use your spreader as long as it is adjustable for application rate. Don't put the fert and seed together for they have different application rates. For a new lawn use 6-8 pounds per 1k sqft and 4-5 lbs for overseeding per1k sqft is a pretty general guideline. Then apply starter fert accordingly. Don't make it more complicated than it is. You have the right idea and will be fine and have a nice lawn before you know it but get on the ball before it is too late. I don't seed past Oct 15 here in KY to get best results.

9. pinnacle

ParkerLawn: Thanks Again Mate!!

I'm pretty confident now.

What your saying about being too late is appreciated too but down here (Australia)Its Spring and I'm ready to do some lawn restoration.

Thanks again ParkerLawn I hope you have a profitable leaf/snow season up there.

Cheers mate.................Have a good one :)

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

We feed hay to cattle, and they walk around, and mix it with fertilizer, and apply the seed /fert mix as they go...works all year round.
    Crawdad