need help lawn with 80% weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 22, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i went to a customers house yesterday, he called for a weed treatment.. his lawn is at least 80% weeds.. soil is clay and has a lot of rocks in it.. would it be best for him to spray the yard with round up and top soil now or should he wait to the fall and for now just cut the weeds.. Please help any suggestions helpful

2. jeff_0

from md

no replys yet

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

If it was me,I would spray the existing lawn for weeds,wait a week or two,then apply topsoil,seed, salt hay,and a start-up fertilizer.

4. jeff_0

from md

i talked to him and suggested to wait til the fall.. he was fine with it..

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff,why wait,its money you can make now.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The sooner it's done, the sooner a full established lawn will exist.
    Although, I'd have to se it. I've done lawns like this just by spraying them with a selective, and using the right fert.s for a season .

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats 20% grass then!

Shoot it with your spray weed and feed, and then follow up with another if necessary. Proper fertilization will really multiply the existing grass plants real quick in this early of the season.

If it doesn't work to his satisfaction, sell the complete rejuvenization later in the Fall.

Get what you can now!

8. jeff_0

from md

the yard has a lot of clay spots and rocks in and on the soil

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Give him what he wants! The spray won't hurt the rocks and clay one bit!
    :D

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I've got one account like this too. I'd say mine is about 50-60% weeds though. In fact, I just got back from "cutting" it. I am working on her. She's mulling whether or not to invest in seeding. She's also mulling whether or not to have me install mulch (probably 8-10 yards). If she says yes, I'll seed the yard some time in the next couple of weeks or so. Her property really is nice - just needs some TLC.

This is the kind of client I welcome with open arms because you have an opportunity to make the property beautiful and add tremendous value.