Need help, looking to buy a new mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rblantonjr, Apr 3, 2008.

1. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I have started looking at new lawn mowers. I have been looking at Toro, Scag, and Dixie Choppers. I currently own a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" deck. Looking to get a 60" deck for cutting larger properties. I am looking at a Dixie Chopper XG2703-60, with the Generac engine. Does anyone have any info about this model? I have also been looking at a Toro Z500. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

2. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

As far as price and quality I would go w/ a toro or scag, I have not heard good reviews on a Dixie Chipper. From what I have heard and researched they break very easily. I am personally partial to scag and love their mowers. I have also had very good luck w/ toro. Just do as much research as you can and hopefully you can get some great opinions from everyone on here. Most everybody is pretty knowledgeable about what they use/like and why.

3. rblantonjr

Do you know anything about the Generac engines? They are advertising a three year warranty.

4. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

honestly I dont, I have kawasaki and honda engines

5. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with the Scag. How will you get parts for the Generac?

6. rblantonjr

The dealer is very good about stocking parts and doing repair work.

7. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

It sounds as if you've talked yourself into the Dixie Chopper. As long as the dealer stocks parts and stands behind it you will be fine. I would be concerned about the cut quality the most. The Dixies seem to be made of well built components though.