need help ,my 16hp briggs vtwin isnt starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by M RASCOE&SONS, Nov 17, 2005.

1. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

well i waited to the last moment to get my pro series billygoat with the 16hp briggs vtwin going for fall cleanup and it will only start with starter fluid .for starters the machine wasnt used last year but was kept in garage.i emptied the fuel and put new fuel in , still doesnt seem to want to start unless you use starter fluid and will only stay running for a 2 or 3 seconds.."carb stays bone dry",i dont believe im getting fuel but cant find why.choke opens and closes fine.thanks in advance for your help

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like the float valve is stuck closed, Time to take the carb. apart and clean it with carb. and choke cleaner spray. Install the little tube in the nozzle and spray all passages and jets good and blow out good with compressed air if available.

3. M RASCOE&SONS

thanks rob i will give that a try ,do you think because it sat for a season caused that problem because i bet it doesnt have 20 hrs on it

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Yes not running ope is hard on the carb it is best to run the machine often and use stabil.

5. Restrorob

Ditto, what the Docter said.

6. M RASCOE&SONS

rob what should i expect to pay to have this fixed at my local shop and do you think being its only 2 yrs old it would fall under a waranty?i misplaced my paperwork from when i bought it but im taking it to the same shop where i purchased it and he knows it was in storage for last yr and not used.

7. Restrorob

Well, Warranty only covers defects in material and workmanship, I see no way to get Briggs to cover a carb. cleaning being sat up with gas left in it.
    I get 50.00 a hour and anywhere from a hour to a hour and a half depending on removal time plus the rebuild kit if needed. I would guess in the neighborhood of 30.00 for a kit on yours.

8. M RASCOE&SONS

your a great help rob thanks.im gonna drop it off in the morning and can only hope it will be finished by the end of the day because without its gonna take us a lot longer to do cleanups and it will cut into my profits.

9. Restrorob

Hopefully they will get it right out for you. I have a deal for all my commercial customers, Soon as they pull in the gate I stop what I'm working on and get right on theirs. If I don't have a needed part in stock I will pull it off a brand new unit (within reason) to get them going again. I learned years ago if you take care of your commercial users they will always return when it's time to update equipment. And some are pretty good tippers too payup

Good luck