need help narrowing used skidsteer purchase, $6000 budget

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by clydesdale, May 14, 2008.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate all your help so far and I am narrowing down my search. I will use this mostly at my personal residence for snow removal, moving pallets of fire wood, general digging, occassional lifting pallets of pavers, auger for planting big shrubs, and possibly renting a rock chipping attatchment. I think my small price range puts me in the bobcat 743 market. How is this machine and do you believe the 753 is that much better and worth stepping up to? I do not want to make the wrong decision and buy a machine that can't run any attatchments. I would also like a proven, reliable and easy to repair machine. Thanks for all your help.

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know at that price range if you will get something that won't be used up? I understand keeping to a budget but I would say to save up and look more at the $8-9,000 range. My uncle bought an old Bobcat and has been nothing but a hassle, isn't fun to run and he keeps having to fix it. He spent about $6,000 on it. Good luck.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go for something in the $10,000 range, anything that is in the $6000 range is going to be a huge hit and miss machine with slop everywhere and leaks.

4. rocketranger289

rocketranger289 LawnSite Member

I bought an older skidsteer and paid 5750 for it, but to make it useful and dependable I spent about 2500 in parts and I did the labor myself just doing the routine maintenance that was neglected for many years, tightening the controls and adding a newer quicktach to it. I would try to stick to the 8000 to 10000 range if you don't want to do a lot of repairs to it.

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

About all your going to buy for that kind of money is a headache. No big deal though if your not affraid to do a little work on it. Honestly though the old machines versus the newer machines is like comparing daylight to dark. A 743 is a fair size machine but most around that price range are usually smaller and older or if newer extremely wore out.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is not to say that you wont find a good machine for that money but you will have to look. My dad sometime ago bought a Bobcat 721 for 5K. Nothing but problems. They never stop. Last year he finally broke down and bought a 430. Wonders why he did not do it a long time ago (not that I did not tell him).

Skid steers are not a joy to work and the parts are not cheap.

If you absolutely cant spend more I would just be real chosey on what you buy. As far as a 743 or 753 they are fine machines for light duty work if they are not already hammered. I prefer the 1840-1845C but thats not to say others are not good as well.

7. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

I had a 743B and my understanding is they were basically the same as the newer 751. The 753 just had a few more HP and I think possibly a little more lift capacity. Nice little machine, but it was little. It was a great entry level machine in order to load mulch and light snow removal. Tried running a harley rake a couple times and it struggled. It worked, but I had to take small bites. I replaced it with a 773 with cab and heat. Still using it. The 743b moved half pallets of pavers fine, but wouldn't touch a whole pallet, the 773 struggles without counterweight or on uneven ground but picks them up. Everyone is right on in saying to spend a little more. Budget or not, you will end up with not much machine for $6k. Probably find an old Case like my neighbors from the early 80's for $4k but he works on his everytime he uses it. Hope this helps.

8. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

I dont think a 743 B is basically the same as a 751. The latter has the motor transversely mounted , and if memory serves, it was either a gasser, or a off brand diesel ( Puegot?) A 743 has the motor and pumps inline and in its day was a great machine for its size. I've seen many with 5K plus hours

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is true some models of the 751 did have Puegot motor which didn't impress anyone.

10. rocketranger289

rocketranger289 LawnSite Member

If I were to buy another skidsteer I would get a good 1845c Case! :usflag: