Need help, need gear box for walker deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SweetBaby, Jun 27, 2008.

1. SweetBaby

SweetBaby LawnSite Member

I was mowing and accidently picked up a rock and broke two gear boxes on my deck. I was curious if anyone knows a place where I could purchase used ones or should I pay the price and just get new? I have a Model MT and was using a 54" offset deck, I need the "T" gear box and the left side (if you were sitting on it, side away from the thrower).

Any help would be appreaciated?

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

There's supposed to be a problem with these, so you'll probably have a hard time finding used ones. Besides, if you manage to find one don't expect if to survive as long as your old part.

Go to a dealer and ask for a heavy duty gearbox. I think it's standard now. An expensive fix but the right thing in the long run. Good luck.

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    54inch sd decks
    Yes the gearboxes can be a problem . A suggestion from dealer and walker is to shorten blades a little .
    The problem is when eg a blade snaps the shear pins it becomes out of time with the blade next to it .

Explain eg GHS DECK on the blade overlap the blades spin in the same direction . When the blade bolts break the blades clash [hit ] BUT they are spinning in the same direction NO PROBLEM

Explain on a GEAR DRIVE 54 SIDE DISCHARGE deck -where the overlap [2places]
    occurs the blades are spinning in the opposite direction . As u can imagine the blades hit and cause a major disaster

THE FIX 1/ cut the tips of the blades [reduce overlap ]
    2/ fit 2x swinger type blades to each blade bar
    [at least walker australia offered this ]

THE WALKER FIX 1/ as above
    2/ or redesign deck to seperate gear boxes further apart eg the 56 s/d deck
    The newer 56 s/d deck and the older 54 s/d deck use the same blades

The 52 belt drive deck is a far better design in comparison

tomo:waving: