Need help new mower wont run.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmusic, Sep 11, 2004.

1. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

I was mowing this evening when my mower just died. At first I thought it ran out of gas. So when I looked it had plenty of gas. Well I get back on and disengage the blades(I was cutting when it killed over) set the brake and turned the switch and nothing happened,just a faint buzzing sound from the starter or some other electrical swith click. I checked the fuses and they are fine. the mower is a toro 20 hp koeler with 52 deck z500 with 33 hrs on it.

any help or info would be great. the mower is sitting in a custormers yard. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :help: :cry:

2. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

Your batteries dead i belive. Disconnect to from the mower and charge it. If you don't dissconnect it Ive herad storys of people messing up other stuff when they didn't.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Could be a couple things, we had a Deere that had several kill switches for safety, operator pressence control, fuel shut off, brake and clutch switches etc. If the soilnoid clicks my guess is that it is one of those switches. Possibly the connector for the operator pressence control is loose, ususally under the seat. When the suspension seats are new sometimes they won't push down on them hard enough, the manufacturer realizing that eventually they will soften up and loose some of their strength. Try putting a test light across it if it has one, sitch could be bad, possibly starter but don't think so. Could be battery but a cheap volt meter will be able to rule that out. Good luck , let us know how it turns out.

4. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

could this be the oil sentry system on the kohler engine??

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Not familar with their jargon but if it senses low oil pressure or high heat possibly. Have you changed the oil in this break in period? Critical as parts wear in. Hopefully motor is not seized. Can you manually move the engine, pull start, move by flywheel etc?

6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

check to see if battery terminals have good connection

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

^That is the problem I had----it is easy to overlook

greasy_gun likes this.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure that you have taken care of this but your dealer should be tripping over himself trying to arrange pickup and apologizing profusely about the problems you are having. That being said, your problem sounds electrical on the switch side. If you hear a clicking I would look towards the solenoid malfunctioning. If it were a safety switch (seat,blade) it would not let electricity get to the solenoid. If it were oil, the engine would turn over but would not start. If the starter is whirling, then the starter is broken.

Whatever, your dealer should be buying you dinner at a nice restaurant for you troubles. 33 hours is about a week old, certainly you should not have issue one with this mower this season.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I typed too long. You figured it out in the time of my reply.

10. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

I did change the oil after 6 hours, checked oil about a week ago. right now the mower is on a bank so dipstick not accurate but did show low. I dont know if the oil sentry system will let the motor turn over until oil is added to protect the motor.