1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on 23 hp kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dtc0207, Dec 16, 2013.

1. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

Ok it's on a Toro Dingo it was running fine, turned off now won't start. Battery voltage is 12.8v on stater hot 12.8 key switch 12.8 but when key turned to start all voltages drop to zero or -1 I've checked grounds seem ok, when key is in the on position I have 12.8v any ideas what it might be
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a blown strap in the battery, Put your multimeter leads right on the battery lugs not the cable connectors. If it still drops to zero replace the battery, If it doesn't drop to zero clean the battery cable connections.....

3. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

I checked that even changed battery and still same thing do you think a relay could cause this

4. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

if i let it sit still for a couple hrs it will crank over once or twice then stops and does nothing let sit for a couple hrs and same thing turns over once or twice and then nothing thanks for all your help in advance

5. bl8tant

bl8tant LawnSite Member

Sounds like a defective ignition switch. I replaced 2 this year for the same symptoms (on two different machines). What really drove me crazy was one of the new switches was defective right out the box. That one had me chasing my tail for awhile.