1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help on a Diagnosis

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jsala, May 24, 2006.

1. jsala

jsala LawnSite Member

Hi folks,

I have a 4 year old Exmark Lazer HP 48" with a Kaw 19hp engine. I use it for home use to mow about 4 acres. Without any prior issues, today it just would not start. I normally keep it in a shed and start it to mow in warmer weather, but yesterday I brought it out and parked it next to my garage in preparation for using it early this morning to spread some weed&feed while the grass was still wet. it worked fine last night when I parked it. this morning it was very cool (around 45 degrees) and when I went to start it (choked) it sputter once and then nothing. I left it sit all day but even now that it is warn I can turn the engine endlessly without it turning over. Now, I am not technically savvy when it comes to engines, but I took out the spark plugs and they looked ok (not like I would expect if the engine was flooded). i cleaned them and put them back in. I have plenty of gas but it seemed the lack of firing pointed to a spark or fuel issue. In inspecting the fuel system I noticed that the inline fuel filter case only had a little fuel in it (I can see the fuel level through the filer case. I do not think this is normal but I never looked before. anyone know for sure? If not, is this possibly a clogged fuel filter or a problem upstream that is causing it not to pull fuel? Also, does anyone know if fuel filters for a Kaw are available at local parts stores (I have no close Exmark dealers, mine when out of business)?

I know I asked a lot of questions but if anyone has ideas or suggestions to find the problem I would really appreciate the help.

2. jsala

jsala LawnSite Member

Well, I did some more digging into my problem. I have verified that I am getting fuel through my fuel filter. I also called the closest Exmark dealer (some 35 miles away) and they indicated that a fuel filter on a Kaw can show only partial fuel level. they guessed at a possible faulty fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor.
  3. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

You will have better luck posting this on the Mechanic and repair forum. There are some really good guys there. Turn the key on and use a test light to see if you are getting juice at the carb selenoid. You probably have a loose wire somewhere maybe at the key?
  4. jsala

jsala LawnSite Member

Thanks, but I got it figured out this evening. Add it up to a combination of marginal plugs and cold weather to cause it to severely flood the carburetor. I pulled the air filter and there was a puddle of gas in the bottom of the carburetor. So I soaked up the excess gas, disconnected the gas line, pulled and clean/dried the plugs, and then cranked the engine to clear any remaining gas. I then put the plugs back in without connecting the gas and cranked her and got a few cycles before the gas ran out. reconnected everything, turned her over with very little choke and she fired right up. I plan to replace the plugs over the weekend. I was really surprised how quickly the engine flooded as I only turned it over a few times that morning before giving up and using my other machine. Live and learn!