need help on a job bid

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Arena landscaping, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Arena landscaping

Arena landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from wayne

Thank you. It was not easy but I managed all I had to do is also have my parents name on te policy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

In all serious, if you are actually 14 and work, good for you. If only more kids were like you.... your going to get bashed on here, but everyone just needs someone to pick on. Keep working hard, and you will find yourself in a good spot eventually. How to help you with this particular job? I am not sure, maybe it is over your head, maybe not, but good for you for trying.

3. The Irritator

The Irritator LawnSite Member

This is spot on. Kudos to you. It is easier for these guys to tear you down than build you up. Business is pretty simple. You need to bring in more money than you spend. Price the materials. Price the labor. Figure your overhead. Figure a couple of screw ups in with it. That equals your cost. Add whatever you want to make to it (usually in the form of a percentage) and give the price. The great thing about being in business for yourself is YOU get to decide how much you can make. There is, however, a fine line between getting and losing a job based on price.

Make sure that your customer is 100% satisfied. Go over and beyond to make them happy. Make sure your work is top notch. Make sure to clean up after yourself. If they have a problem down the road with your work, address it. Don't ignore it.

That is how you build a business. Good luck.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I will NEVER bash a young man for being ambitious, as I started my business as a young teen ager (13).

Nothing stood in my way.

And I wasn't afraid of trying anything, as well as learning.

Back then, we didnt have the internet. I acquired knowledge from reading Lawn & Landscape magazine from front to back each and every month.

Speaking of L&L, they used to have a forum. And on that forum came a young man from MD, right outside of DC, around 14 or 15 years old. Man, people bashed him and bashed him and bashed him. He was 15 years old and own work trucks that his employees drove! When he was in H.S he would have to ask the teacher to go to the bathroom.....so he could make business calls! He got caught once and the teacher demanded that he surrender his cell phone, to which he refused.

He went to college.

And around age 20 or 21 he bought his first house. Now, being in your early 20's and buying a home right outside of Washington DC is a HUGE HUGE HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT.

We work in the same area as this young man and I see his trucks from time to time and everytime I see his trucks I feel a sense of pride for the young man and I always think back to how bad people on the L&L forum flammed him in the beginning, and now look who's got the last laugh!

5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

label is spelled incorrectly in post #29. lol You guys are rutheless, but funny.

6. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

I know somepeople around here aim for $2000 a day w/ materials and 2 man crew as a REAL rough #

7. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

This is a classic case of a scapegoat. I meant no direct harm to you, Arena, by my post. The advise I gave you was sound and as good as any in this thread.

Let me put it this way. Consider this forum and all the other communication outlets that don't really matter (no grades, no sales, etc.) as practice for the game on Sunday when you are sitting down with Mrs. Jones.

Mrs. Jones does not know you. Mrs. Jones will not care if you are on an iphone or a pc. She will expect you to write intelligently no matter what device you use. One "cuz" instead of "because" could cost you the job.

At 14 (I still think you look 25) you seem to be working harder that some some guys I know at 35. That is commendable but remember that people are judging you no matter where you are, what you do, how you act, what you wear, etc. Whether it is warranted or not. Again, this is sound advice that I think a lot of guys do not understand.

I do stand by my comment that the English language is going to suffer in the future. I'm 35. I write a lot of emails, text, etc. on my smart phone. It's tough. When I got my first smart phone, I did every abbreviation under the sun for about 6 months. Then the light went on. Not only did my buddies think I was an idiot but a couple of long term clients casually mentioned it to me. Now every bit of communication I send out is written thoroughly. It's one less thing that people can judge negatively.

Now put your iphone away before the teacher takes it. lol!

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

All that preaching???

Most people know where to draw the line in communication writing. Most ppl don't write contracts from an iPhone.

If the guy is a straight a student - then he knows how 2 write N spell. And mature enough to know where to draw the line.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Arena landscaping

from wayne

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Arena landscaping

from wayne

Clearly plus I have people prof read everything I send out
    Posted via Mobile Device