Need HElp on a new Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STIHL GUY, Jul 3, 2008.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Hey, im looking to buy a new edger but dont know what to get. I want to buy form a commercial company such as Stihl, Echo, Tanaka ect. Any suggestions on what one i can get without putting too big of a dent in my wallet?

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a stihl trimmer now, get the Stihl edger. That way, if one breaks down then you can just swap the heads and be on your way. I have both Stihl and RedMax edgers, both do a good job. The RedMax has a more comfortable handle and has an adjustable wheel.

3. STIHL GUY

from CT

can i buy a edger attachment for the sthil trimmer or do i need the kombi version?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Shindaiwa LE261

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Shindaiwa LE261....much more power than my Stihl FC75, starts first pull too.

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yes, you can buy a separate gear head, but it's a hughe PITA to switch out the gear heads. If you want a straight shaft, you have the choice of the FC95 or the FC110, if you want curved shaft, you have the FC90 or the FC100. You could also look into the Kombi system if you feel you can grow into it.

Prices from my dealer are:
    FC110 $459.95
    FC100 $399.95
    FC95 $409.95
    FC90 $349.95

Kombi & Edger
    KM110 R, Curved shaft edger $429.90
    KM130 R, Curved shaft edger $479.90
    KM110 R, Straight shaft edger $509.90
    KM130 R, Straight shaft edger $559.90

7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with what Rob said, go with Stihl. Also, they make a less powerful FC-75 (25.4 cc) for $329.

And for the Kombi units, there is also the KM 90.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I have the strait shaft edger attachement for my stihl.

I swap out a tiller/cultivator, hedge trimmer, edger, string head, and de-thatcher with my stihl.

I don't feel it's a pita switching the head. It might take a little more time than a combi, but not enough to matter.

I've always been curious about the combi, if there a little more weight or not with the coupler in the the middle of the shaft, and if there is, is it much of a different.

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yeah I forgot that one, I used my KM 130 for the first time this past Wednesday and the power is amazing.

White Gardens, shoot me a PM and I can give you a breakdown on the weights of the Kombi motors and the dedicated machines. It's a ton of info an a little much to post here.

10. STIHL GUY

from CT

so is it a diffrent head for my trimmer than it is for the kombi system? and how much is just the edger head? I assume that i can get that at the STIHL dealer?
    Thanks