Need help on a rock bed by Monday

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by soloscaperman, Jun 15, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

My customer wants white stone rocks in the front of his house. He changed his mind from Mulch to either Vista red rocks or white.
    I couldn't find an online tool for a calculator. I will be honest im new to knowing how many bags I need.

First bed on the left: 56" X 210"

Second bed: 223" 60" I know its a small lawn, lol.

But the problem is that there's a crazy wavy design so I of course chose the longest measurement which was 60'' long from the foundation.

Thanks guys for the help.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I came up with 1.1 cu yds. Or in tons: about 1.5 tons. This is at 2 inches deep. Be sure to put down landscape fabric so the rocks don't sink into the ground.

3. soloscaperman

I know last year I didn't put landscape fabric just used the Trimmer and some grass killer to make the bed then layed rocks but this time I will use the fabric.

Should I buy from a Home cheopo or go to a private vendor?????? How do I order it or say it at a private vendor? Do I go by yards or tons? Sorry I suck when it comes to rocks.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would get it at a vendor. They usually charge by the ton and it will be WAY cheaper than getting it from a box store. Not to mention if you got it at a box store, it would take MANY of the little bags they sell to equal what you need. The vendor will know how many cubic yards = tons. IF you have a 1/2 truck, you could put it in the bed....but it will really make it squat and it isn't very safe. I would put it on a trailer....that is if you have a decent sized trailer with at least 1 3500 lb axle.

5. soloscaperman

My trailer isn't boxed in so I would have to put it in my truck. Would all that be safe for my truck or should I make two passes. I have overloaded my truck with mulch and it didn't really bog. I put 20 bags of stone and I could feel the weight.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would check out your local vendors. Your truck isn't going to handle a lot of weight. They might be able to deliver it for you. It cost money, but when your getting started you do what you have to do.

If they don't deliver or can't, try to rent a small dump trailer. As long as the tongue weight doesn't push you over your gvwr on your truck, then your good to go. 1.5 - 3 tons isn't neccisarrily a whole lot, so even if you rent the trailer, it would be for one day or less.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is white marble chips, I don't think you will find it any other way but in bags in Connecticut. Bags often come with both pounds and cubic feet written on them. Bagged stone is often 2/3 of a cubic foot per bag or roughly 45 bags for 1.1 cubic yards, if that is what you need.

He may change his mind back to mulch when he gets the estimate. That will be a lot more effort than picking up and spreading a yard or two mulch that you can buy in bulk and spread by wheel barrow.