1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

need help on a safe gpm

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by woodlawnservice, Jun 23, 2013.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

City tap into main is 3/4" poly ran to the meter... which is 3/4x5/8. Guy at water dept called manufacture and says its a true 3/4 x 3/4, but there machines tbsts cast them are old so they still stamp em 3/4 x 5/8"... anyhow... pressure is supposed to be 65psi before meter... would I be safe using. 15gpm design you think? Customer wants a bid but I doubt he will let me.make a Tap to test until after the bid...thinking of using rain bird 5000s spaced about 30' apart....thinking I up size main to 1 1/4" to reduce my loss.and velocity over my 400' mainline run.... then go to 1" laterals .prob get about 5 rotors per zone

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable at 10-12 gpm. Gives you room if the pressure or volume decreases over time, or if you need to add a head later on. We typically have 3/4 copper to the 3/4 or 5/8 meter, and bump to 1" at the valve manifold. I would go for 12 gpm max. I have some at 15-18 and they just struggle.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

no worries about the meter - the true meaning of 3/4 x 5/8 is that the performance of the 3/4 is fit into the smaller 5/8 package - the length of the 3/4 poly between the main and the system tells you where you top out for flow.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO 1.25" belongs in the residential well drilling biz.

1.5" minimum is my choice for mains. 2 - 2.5 for longer runs.

Pressure loss @ 12 gpm is 1/2 of 1.25 pipe and about a 6th of 1 in.

I know that i do mainly Ag related work where you are competing with the landscape irrigation crowd though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Cape Atlantic Landscaping

Cape Atlantic Landscaping LawnSite Member

like Dana posted 10-12 GPM in my experience you need to stay conservative and think about worst cast scenarios down the road.
    Is this a new development and other Holmes are to be added later ?
    In my town the city has a greater demand in the summer due to all the tourists.
    Also I would use 1 1/2 SCH. 40 main and 1 inch SDR 21 pipe for the lateral lines not poly
    this should get you to the 30 ft. you need

6. woodlawnservice

Thanks guys... I'll design for the lower flow... my length from the tap on the main to the meter is 30' and is poly. After the meter I can step up to 1.5 sch 40 and on laterals go 1" sdr 21. I'm not a personal fan of sdr 21 but.... it does flow more, cheaper, and when installed right I shouldnt have a problem. The cost of having a irrigation meter set for 1" is only $550.... that being said I really though about having the homeowner do this.... that additional cost into breaking the system.into more zones, heads and such will prob make that a viable option? Thoughts on that... so its b 1" poly from tap to meter with 1" meter... rhen could I get away with 1 1/4 or would u guys still stay with 1.5" schedule 40 for the 400' of mainline... this job how I have it designed at now already has 8 zones on it... I hate to bring gpm down more and then more zones... I dont really care to have him watering all night long..lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

If the main (and the tap) were accessable, you could just upsize the 3/4 pipe, but the specialty upsizing adapters might not be easy to find.

8. woodlawnservice

I'll check.into.those. never used em.. would u consider a whole new 1" tap to get my gpm up to the 15 ish number?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

It depends on how much acreage you're watering. A one-inch tap would get you closer to 20 gpm. And a new tap could also be fitted so as to allow a larger supply line, eliminating a performance bottle neck.

10. woodlawnservice

3/4 acre lot and your suggesting a larger supply like say.. 1.5" to the meter?
    Posted via Mobile Device