Need help on a striping ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted this a while back but we're fixing to print out our new flyers and I'm listing services and why they should choose us. My question is, is it possible to stripe centipede? Af far as I know no other company here offers it. I have some yards that have bermuda and zoya (I have no clue how to spell that one) and I belive these yards would look great but the majority of all my yards as well as most of the yards in the area have centipede. I'll be using a gravely 260z and I already bought the striping kit (rubber flap) but don't want to put it on if it's not gonna do any good. How do these style stripers compare to the rollers like on exmark? We also have a cub cadet Tank M60 that has the factory plastic rollers on the back of the deck and it will remove the swirl marks of the blades put it seems like theres not enough pressure to leave a good stripe. And if someone is wondering most of our centipede yards we mow at 2".
    Please anyone who knows please reply. Thanks guys.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that tank should be stripping like a monster, make sure the deck is pitched right........ most southern grasses dont strip very well...taken from this website below...

"Grass types are also a factor in striping. Certain breeds of grass will bend easier and can provide a better stripe pattern. Warm season grasses (found in the southern regions of the United States) are typically more difficult to stripe as they are more rigid and harder to bend. The stripe can also be affected by the position of the sun. Stripe patterns may seem more intense at various times of the day and in different light levels."

http://www.scag.com/lawnstriping.html

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Thats funny I just read that about 10 minutes ago. With the tank you can tell a little bit but I guess I'm hoping for better results like other guys are having up north.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i would stand clear of that in a flyer, it might confuse people, save it for when you do the estimate, tell them how professional your stripping looks and explaint to them what it is and how straight your lines are

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i know some people tell you not to do this, but i alternate my patterns week to week and return to go over the old ones again after 2 or 3 weeks, exactly, and it really makes the stripes much more noticable, it really helps on crappier lawns which are tuff to see stripes

6. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i agree, sometimes its hard to do different directions, so you have to use an old pattern, but it sure does show up nice.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

who says not to alternate patterns? thats the way you suppose to do it. change every week or you start getting tracks.

8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I second that texan i usualy change every week kind of in a rotation. Also if i cant alternate the patern i will cut a strip then insted of taking a full deck width off ill cut only half basicly stradling my old track so i dont run over the same tire tracks especialy important with heavy heavy machines

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i normally use about 3-4 different patterns if the lawn area allows it.

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Ok I get the point on changing patterns but do any of you guys know about striping centipede?