1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help on a subdivision entrance bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MulchMan88, May 27, 2008.

1. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

this is my first type of job like this, and im stumped. they want the juniperus removed, and they want it to be low maintenance, and the bushes that i plant have to be perennials. they also want something that will cover that box on the left. heres what i have come up with right now

- whatever i plant, i want it to be bright and colorful. i want it to catch the eye of people driving bye.
    - i think i want to cut that corner of grass out in the first picture. and take it all the way from the existing bed so that it flows in front of the box and then meets again where it starts back up. that grass looks bad anyway.
    - new mulch all over after im done.

im stumped on the other stuff. it needs to be pretty small so that you can see the sign. here are the pictures:

2. MountainMan

MountainMan LawnSite Member

If they are going to pay for you to come in and redo all the landscaping I would propose a newer, brighter more interesting sign to help make the area look good, flowers will help but the sign needs to go!!!
  3. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

i have nothing to do with that sign. they said that after they do this they are gonna have someone come in and repaint it and **** i guess. i dont wanna tackle that job anyway.
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know, there's something kind of funny about a place called "Stony Run," that has a sign made of wood...

as for the design, my first thought for something simple would be Azaleas. maybe stick some Miscanthus in the back for height and winter interest.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem is going to make it low maintenance. The shedding from the pine trees alone is going to make it difficult.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i saw those needles aswell and thought azaleas and mums. but pretty shady at times also.
    dont hide the bow you will draw the eye straight to it
    for what i think you want annuals are the trick but you said perinnials so think in terms of seasons ergo azalea - spring mums - fall get some bulbs and fountain grass

that fire hydrant is horrible also consider water as a possible issue

just a thought to consider good luck
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Whoever designed that sign should be fired. Who would even put that up.