need help on adjusting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

my 48" belt drive just isn't moving right now that i put the new belts on there, it moves but i'll get in grass or hill and it jsut kinda slows down, i can MAKE it go by pusshign downward on both handless, adding pressure to the belts, how do i make this adjusment so i don't have to do this?

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You gotta tell us what kind of mower you have:alien:

3. Orkin Yards

sorry, its a scag, belt drive, walk behind, 48" 17 hp kaw, i dono what else you need to know

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's not the right belts on there. Did you re adjust the tensioners so your engagement is right? Also, is there an adjustment for your spring tensioners?

5. Orkin Yards

i'm gunna need some more info on how to adjust the tensioner and what not...

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did it work O.K. with the original belts? There is a lot of linkage there, but it really isn't rocket science. If you managed to replace the belt, you should feel comfortable in adjusting the linkage. Maybe you hooked the tension spring to the wrong bolt? Hard to believe that the belts are the wrong size.

7. Orkin Yards

well i compared the belts and they seem to me to be the same size but i'm going to double check that, now the tension springs i took off and put back on, the way i did it both of the open ends of the hooks point up and they are on the right bolts i know that much for sure, i've done all the adjusthign i can think to, but i haven't figured this one out yet, the mower still has problems going up hills and sometimes from a dead stop it just doesn't seem to go unless i push down on the handles, SOMONE here knows how to fix this PLEASE HELP its annoying not being able to go thanks alot

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Jeffrey,

I can help, but it would take pages to tell you how on here. My Dad has my digital camera this week, so I just cant go out and take a pic of mine and show you. Something is preventing the traction idler pulley from keeping the belts tight. The steering control rods may be too tight preventing the idler from making full spring pressure. The linkage from the brakes may also be binding this process. Like I said, step back and take a long hard look at the whole mechanism, it isnt rocket science! Unless anyone else can explain it better, this is about all your gonna get from a computer.

GOod Luck

9. Orkin Yards

saaadly it was the belts, i put my old ones on and the bad boy FLIES now, they are just a fraction bigger it appears, what to do now?

10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Take back the belts and try to get your money back.Get the right belts put on,or just keep the old ones since your happy again!