1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on Baseball field

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SidelinePropMgr, Mar 30, 2005.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I have a little league park where the field has pretty much overgrown. I need to re-establish the dirt infield areas (basepaths). Any suggstions on the best and most efficient way to do this. do Ineed to roto-till the entire area or is a chemical treatment more appropriate. The areas are full of grass and weeds! HELP!!!

Cliff Nelson
    Sideline Property Management

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i would say a combination of both.

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

yeah, I would also say both. start by spraying to kill all the weeds. then when you till the area incorporate a granular pre-ermergent herbicide, like snapshot. then finish up with a roller to re-compact the area.

4. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

Yes, spray a post-emergent on the weeds, then after they have dwindled incorporate infield conditioner. Do a search for "Pro's Choice" infield conditioners. This will help reduce compaction thus making it safer as well as give it a true ballpark look with the red color.

5. trimz

trimz LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor and leave the home to 1st and home to 3rd base paths in grass. I would kill the grass in the dirt part of the infield, then I would till the area. If you can't afford infield mix just get 20-30 tons of sand to put down. Just remember when you drag your new infield stay away from the edges so you don't build a lip. I just converted a soft ball field to a high school sized diamond . We had to kill part of the outfield grass and did the above mentioned. Make sure you do a search so you can lay the bases out properly. I didn't realize there is a proper and improper way to lay out the bases. Once you are finished and see the kids playing on the field it will make the effort well worth it.