1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help on bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by curry, Jul 3, 2001.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I need help on bidding the following, this is a government contract. The area is approximately 40,000 sq ft with approximately 15 small trees. I do not have a license and want to sub this out. I dont even know what these poisions are. That shows you how much I know.
    1. Fertilize trees once (First week in March)
    2. Diazinon once (First week in August)
    3. Prodiamine once (First week in Febuary)
    4. Oryzilin once (First week in August)
    5. MSMA twice (Third week in May and First week in June)
    6. Halosuluro once (Third week in May, mixed with MSMA)
    7. Fertilize twice (first week in April and first week in July)
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

What help exactly are you asking for? You'll need to get your sub to give you the pricing that he will charge you, so you can determine your mark up & then bid it. Are you asking what the poisons are & do?
  3. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I dont care what the chemicals are cause I will let a professional handle that end. I just need to know who much each of these applications will cost me. I dont want a professional to try to screw me over, so I would like to have a ballpark figure as to the charge of each of the items that I mentioned. Again, I dont know anything about any of these chemicals so any help on the pricing would be greatly appreciated.
  4. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

If you get a true 'professional' to do the work for you, they will not 'screw you over'.

5. This will take me about an hour to work up a price.

I get $50/hour min. for my time. If you want to wire me $50
    I will be glad to give you the information you need.
  6. BRL

I'll do it for $40.00 LOL. What you need to do is be like any savvy customer that you may have. Find 3 or more reputable application companies in your area and get quotes from them. Make them aware that you are getting quotes from others and I'm sure you won't get screwed over. Pricing varies too much from region to region, so if I or Stone gave you our price, it really doesn't help you in any way. You're not getting screwed over, the price you get from a sub is the price it is to have it done by someone else. Good luck.
  7. Lowball scrub.
  8. BRL

Hey man, I've got a lower overhead than you.

I went from receiving one of the only compliments I've ever seen him dish out, to receiving his worst condemnation within 24 hours. I'm back where I belong again, with the lamers.
  9. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Its amazing to me how people can get completely off the subject. Do yall not give free estimates in your business when someone calls you to get a quote? Around here you would be laughed right out of business if you charged for an estimate. Sorry to bother you with this matter.
  10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Most businesses provide free estimates after screening and knowing they have a chance to get the job.

Call a local professional who'll have a shot at DOING the work and LOOKING at the site.

You'll probably get better information.