need help on bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianj, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i got a call today to bid on a 7 acre cementary. it looked like about 5 acres were full of tomb stones, i thinking it would take 4 men 8 hours, so a total of 32 man hours. it has a long road in the middle that has to be edged. any input would be appreciated. thanks
  2. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Figure on 4 men x 8 hours a day x 16 hours. This is based on my expericience. With out pictures Its hard to give you an exact estimate.
  3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

still need some help
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You said yourself that you figure it'll be 32 man hours.

You're the only one that's seen the place.

It's impossible for anyone on here to help you out with a cemetary bid other than to say this.

Go out there with a trimmer and trim a row of headstones.

Clock yourself, but don't run, take your time.

Take that time and multiply it by the number of rows of headstones.

If you don't want to do that, then set up a row of 5 gallon buckets in your driveway, or other obstacles in your yard, friends yard, whatever, and time yourself for a length of whatever distance.

Then you can say you can trim a row of obstacles xxxx ft long in xxxx time.

Now go back out the cemetary and measure the row of headstones, and divide that number by however long it takes you for your obstacle trim time.

After that, figure out how long it'll take you to mow the rest.

As for the edging, I've never heard of edging at a cemetary road, so unless the cemetary has that in their bid, can't help you, other than edge something at your house, figure how long it takes you to do 100' or so, then measure the length of the road, both sides, and calculate your time.

Once you have all the man hours down, then multiply that by the hourly rate you charge per man hour.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

NMS - where do you get the "16 hour" number????