Need help on bidding a large property!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, May 12, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

A customer called today and wants me to submit a bid for a property that requires a brush hog and will take about 3 or 4 hours to do and is appx. 150 yds X 200 yds. I have never done a property this large and need help bidding for it. Lately, it seems as though I have been underbidding. Can anyone offer suggestions.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like about 6 acres of work to be done, and depending on what type (size) of equipment you are using, my guess would be around $270.

I have no experience with brush hogging, but am guessing you can get around $45 per acre, maybe a little less.

Sorry my advice may not be worth that much, but worth every penny you paid for it :D

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If it seems like you're underbidding, probably want to raise your prices.... no?

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

$50 an acre if its tall grass. $65 and up with brush under 1 inch. $75 and up if over 1", cause my landpride is only rated for 1".

5. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I went back and checked and eyeballed it and it looks to be around 2 or 3 acres and I bidded to do it for $200.00 and I am waiting for a response. I gave the bid at the close of the day and expect to hear by tomorrow if I got it. I asked a guy from the paper for a ball park estimate and he said he would do it for 125.00 - 175.00 w/o looking at it and again it was just ball park. I will be borrowing a brushhog for free but if it turns out to be a huge hassle then I will sub it out.

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey is it $200.00 a week or month I hope its a week??

7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

around here brush hog stuff youd be VERY lucky to get $60

8. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

200.00 for one time

9. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

For just grass on smaller properties, I generally get $50 an acre. If it is a large property close by, it would be much less. Then I sub it out to a friend who is happy to do it for 12.50 / acre. But he has multiple large JD tractors with A/C and a 27' Schulte rotary mower.:eek: